Discuss Move Megaflo, or...? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dsbiggles

We have recently moved into a converted bungalow with a Megaflo cylinder and boiler (Potterton, I think). Works fine and I reckon it's been there for about
3-5 years at least. However, we want to completely re-jig the layout of the upstairs and the boiler/tank is a) currently taking up a huge amount of space,
but b) right where we want to re-locate the staircase. There is plenty of room to site the tank and boiler in a downstairs bathroom (directly below the current
location) but my question is: should I bother with the cost of re-locating the tank and boiler or simply get rid of them and fit a decent combi boiler with a
fast flow rate (Vailant 831 was suggested)? I asked our regular plumber (who is certified to do pressure systems) and he reckoned moving it would be a right pain and I'd be better off with simply getting a decent combi. However, most forum suggestions have been that this would be a step backwards and I should go with the Megaflo. Does anyone have any idea of the cost involved in moving one?

I would keep the megaflow cylinder set up, it should not be to hard to move it as if you fitted a combi you would have to remove it and repipe anyway. Costs would depend on amount of work involved so without seeing the property is hard to say.

what is your hot water demands? no of taps etc... combi boilers give a certain hot water flow rate in liters per min for a 35degree rise in temp from your cold supply, so if you consider a combi you need to consider the amount of hot water flow rate you require.

I
what is your hot water demands? no of taps etc... combi boilers give a certain hot water flow rate in liters per min for a 35degree rise in temp from your cold supply, so if you consider a combi you need to consider the amount of hot water flow rate you require.

About 13 rads (depends on the end result of the work but we have a couple of big rooms with two rads) and two bathrooms. The mains pressure seems OK round here and ideally we'd like the option to have two showers running at the same time. If we had a combi boiler I'd assumed we'd run one shower direct off the hot water and have an electric shower in the second bathroom. However, not 100% sure what would work best. From what I hear the big advantage of the Megaflo is you can have two showers at the same time.

Megaflo the better system but with regard to running two showers it will depend on the cold water main pressure / flow rate.

The Megaflo installed correctly with a 22mm cold water main is far superior than a combi boiler. Question your guy on why it would be a pain to move the cylinder.

Is there a problem getting the Pressure Relief Valve to terminate safely outside?
Is your present gas boiler showing signs of age and replacement due soon ?
Does he think you do not need lots of hot water @ poss 25 ltrs a minute.
He may be trying to find a cheap solution for you that you may not want.

Phone your guy back and ask these and more questions, on a forum it is difficult to guess what your guy reasons are for his advice.

Or he may be a complete idiot as there are a lot about:punk:

I would keep your current set-up if you can, system boiler and unvented cylinder is much better than a combi imho

I agree with the above, why waste money buying a condensing combi with a life span of about seven years when you already have a far superior system, clearly the plumber can make a nice bit of profit installing a combi because its easy to fit and already has a job lined up for a second hand megaflo, At the end of the day any installer worth using considers the customers needs over fat profits

Many thanks for all the advice. Getting someone else in to quote and will see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Move Megaflo, or...? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
The left rear floor corner is highest (the shower pan touches/sits on the floor), sloping down diagonally to the front right corner (lowest). The...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock