Search the forum,

Discuss Mashing machine waste: will this work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wwkparis

Hello to all!
looking for a bit of advice here.
I want to connect my washing machine to the sink waste which is a bit far and I don't want to go through the kitchen units but underneath. I obviously don't want to overload the pump.
Will it work if I do as per my drawing (the red line)?
The blue rectangle between the fridge and the washing machine is a partition wall.

Let me know what you think...
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 64
You will knock the hell out of the pump.
It is the going up, down and then up again that it will not like + a pipe run of more than 2Metres.

It would just about work if you could run with a slight fall from the top of the W/M to the sink but otherwise recommend you think again.

BTW welcome

PS nice drawing but you must have long arms as that sink is a bit low. :yes:

Last edited:
Many thanks for your reply and your welcome.
I was in fact thinking to have the pump to just do the first up. I was hoping that the rest of the water draining would do it on its own by the weight of the water like a huge U-bend... or would it be to slow to drain?

sorry i missed the end.
The sink is not low but that would be the level where it connects to the waste pipes (under the sink).

Re: Washing machine waste: will this work?

sorry i missed the end of your message.
The sink is not low but that would be the level where it connects to the waste pipes (under the sink).

sorry i missed the end.

Only teasing, I know your arms wouldn't be that long ………………………………………….just short legs.

It's the water that is left in the pipe under the units that the pump won't like, it is called double trapping, the pump will have to compress the air in-between two slugs of water before it can get it to let up to the sink waste.

Is it not possible to run behind the fridge either by pulling it out a bit or cutting a chase in the back wall, only needs to be 25mm x 25mm?

Hi Chris,
I was hoping to not have to go behind the fridge as its already quite bigger than the depth of the units.
what about if i do that: (sorry trying to find how to put a photo)

What about this?

Pipe work will just fill up with all the soap & rubbish from the machine as there will not be a self- cleaning velocity through it & do not think there would be enough head at machine end to push the water out into the sink trap.

I can only suggest a pump unit under the sink to break the run something like this Product details for SANIVITE

BTW sinks is much better now :clap:

Well...It looks like i will have to rethink my project...
many thanks for your help!

Run a 40mm waste pipe along the base of units giving it a very slight fall.
Or if you don't want to go behind the fridge then run waste from behind the tall unit to the sink waste, if it is low going down to drains. WM drain hose then just needs to do short distance behind fridge.
Use a stand pipe incorporating a trap, which you can buy as one piece.
Don't worry if you have to cut the back of tall unit for access

Last edited:
Thanks Best for your reply.
I didnt want to touch the units neither...
After all the distance is not that big between the washing machine and the drain...
Could i just run a 2.5m extension waste flex under the units and climb the 2 feet under the sink?

Could i just run a 2.5m extension waste flex under the units and climb the 2 feet under the sink?

Nope! See post #9, same principle applies. If you use a pump just be careful where you connect the outlet pipe to the sink pipe or keep the plug in all the time.

don't the cabinets have a service space at the back of them? can you not run the waste in this space ?

Hello to all,

Thank you for all your replies and advises.
I decided to simplify my life by ignoring them all ;-)
I bought a 2.5 meter extension for the waste pipe and ran it on the floor under the units until it goes a bit up to connect to the sink waste. Works fine for now. Might have to clean/replace the pipe time to time (like once a year) but since it cost £5 that shouldn't be such a prob.
It took me a couple of hour to do it all (unconnect, cut passage in the wall, cut holes through units, re-connect) so i guess thats sorted.
Many thanks again to you all.
Best regards

I did this once, but it was only temporary until the lady had a new kitchen... It worked okay.

I would not go up from the back of the machine tho as it makes the pump work harder... I did it all low level & only rose up to terminate into the washing machine upstand near the sink

There was actually an error in my drawing. The pipe start at the top of the washing machine (at a higher level than the sink waste connection so i guess, all in all, the water as a tendency to push itself into the drain by, I don't know, mechanical property?
Anyway, time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's wrong but it will work for a while. Manufactures don't put restrictions on installations for the fun of it.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mashing machine waste: will this work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock