Search the forum,

Discuss Main Stop Tap Coming Into The House Leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beefcake01uk

Whats the best way to repair this fault?

Do i have to turn off the main supply of water on the street to change the tap? Or can this be done any other way?
Will i need any special tools to shut the water off in the road?

Might sound an easy question but just want to make sure, thanks for any replys

Where is the stopcock leaking ? is it from one of the "end" nuts or from the shaft which you turn.

IF it's coming up through the nut ....

1. Turn off tap.
2. Undo gland nut
3. Wrap poofta tape around shank a few times
4. Stuff tape down into tap
5. Tighten gland nut
6. Turn on tap

If fails, try again with more PTFE tape.

I wasn't too sure when I first did this, but practised on an outside tap first, just in case it all went wrong!

In the old days to repack a "stuffing box" they used pure wool and lanolin grease. Try a bit of hemp, that usually works, or as has been said PTFE. The thick stuff for gas may be better, not the virtual see through stuff at 2p a ton. Put a bit of silicon grease in with it. Remember though water is a food stuff and you drink a lot of it, so don't use anything that may pollute it.

And oh yes! Turn the tap on to undo the packing gland back nut, pack gland, tighten up and then make sure you can turn the stopcock on and off. In point it may just need tightening not repacking. Some taps have nitral rubber "O" rings in the gland, which you can replace, but its a bit more complicated to replace them and involves turning off the water and removing the tap top, breaking it down into its parts, replacing the rings and re assembling. Easy enough to do.

Anyway if you go to a website like B and Q or Wickes they usually show you how to do them better than I can explain. Its only a small job really and if your a bit handy you can probably easily do it, and learn about taps at the same time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Main Stop Tap Coming Into The House Leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock