Currently reading:
Made a shortlist for replacement combi boiler, any advice on these?

Discuss Made a shortlist for replacement combi boiler, any advice on these? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rednev

Ive tried to do as much research as possible to try find a replacement for my ageing Potterton Lynx Electronic combi.

I have a gas safe fitter doing the job, but is isnt linked to either brand (so wont get any extended warranties, just the standard ones mentioned below)

I have picked out the following, and left a note with my reasons (costs include fittings and boiler cost):

WORCESTER-BOSCH Greenstar 28CDi = £1250

- 5 year Boiler Guarantee
- 10 year heat Exchange Guarantee
- Peace of mind of large support network, and low risk of shortage of parts in the future.

Cons
- Replacement parts can be pricey, more elements that can go wrong compared to the Intergas like model

Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 824 = £1219

- 5 year Guarantee
- Stainless Steel Exchange
- Large support network, and low risk of shortage of parts in the future.
- From what I can gather, are a bit easier to access for repairs compared to the Worcester should they be needed

Cons
- Replacement parts can be pricey, more elements that can go wrong compared to the Intergas like model

INTERGAS Combi Compact HRE 24/18 = £1051

- 10 year warranty on the heat exchanger
- 3 year warranty on parts/labour if warranty card registered
- Less parts to go wrong as used in above models
- Seem to get glowing reviews... cant really find any bad ones?
- Cheaper than the other alternatives.

Cons:
- It concerns me that parts may not be available in the future, and support from engineers if needed when warranty ends.

- Upon doing research, some of the parts used in the boiler are not without their issues when other brands have used same parts.

Having a bit of a dilemma on which one to go for, so would appreciate any input.

Cheers

Vaillants are good boilers, but from experience the company & aftercare seriously let them down! They made it nearly impossible for myself to register the extended warranty last time I tried. I hate working on vaillants also, would it be too much hard work for vaillant to put a parts list with numbers in the back of boiler manual!? Not to mention, vaillants attempts to dodge repair work under there warranty by claiming "system water dirty"... I could go on... But won't :)
But the fact is GS, most systems are still manky dirty when boilers are fitted. In most cases you've got some wrench monkey that's done a six week course in Plumbing, fitting a boiler with very narrow waterways in the heat exchanger. I've listened to phone calls to Technical Help lines, believe me you'd not let these chimps fit a tap washer, let alone a boiler!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Made a shortlist for replacement combi boiler, any advice on these? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back