Search the forum,

Discuss 15+ year old Glo Worm back boiler repair or replace with a new Combi. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

So I've got a Glow Worm back boiler fronted by a gas fire, at least 15 years old probably a lot more.
The water heating makes a row as there is a partial blockage in one of the pipes - this I believe to be resolvable with a power flush and pump replacement.
The front fire is spilling fumes and has been disabled as unsafe - this may or may not be resolvable, but we would like a working fire in the living room.
I could spend £700-£800 to effect repairs but with no guarantee that I will have a working gas fire at the end and as the fire is fitted to the back boiler I don't believe it can be removed or replaced separately from the boiler.
So the question is - how much more energy efficient would a contemporary combi boiler be and would it be better to replace the existing back boiler with a new combi and a separate gas fire. If a new Combi is going to save me significant sums on gas costs, the extra cost of replacement could possibly pay for itself over the life of the boiler.
Opinions please

Thanks

Glow Worm BBU's (back boiler units) Had an efficiency of around 78%. New combi will be late 80's so you'll save around 10%. If you add the right controls, a bit more saving. Especially with weather comp (outside sensor type).
You may save gas on the way things are used too. Heating water as it is needed for example.

I would guess you could save 10-15% on the right job so work out the saving per annum on gas and you'll have a good idea.

You probably won't be able to replace the fire front.

The noise is probably not something a flush will shift.

Hope this helps.

Glow Worm BBU's (back boiler units) Had an efficiency of around 78%. New combi will be late 80's so you'll save around 10%. If you add the right controls, a bit more saving. Especially with weather comp (outside sensor type).
You may save gas on the way things are used too. Heating water as it is needed for example.

I would guess you could save 10-15% on the right job so work out the saving per annum on gas and you'll have a good idea.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for this, much appreciated.

Andrew

Reply to 15+ year old Glo Worm back boiler repair or replace with a new Combi. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Vaillant Ecotec Plus 832 boiler is 13 years old, 4 of which since we've been living there, started to play up in last couple of months. An engineer with very good reviews came round and says it will cost 700+VAT for 'replacement expansion vessel, pressure relief valve and diverter valve on...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with venting through the external wall and I'm reluctant to go with an electric boiler instead (because of the consumption cost)). It's a sealed system. The...
Replies
Views
Hi I seek some advice on replacing an existing regular boiler. I currently have an old Potterton 10-16 Netaheat electronic, which is around 35 years old and still working OK. It is fitted to a std 'Y' plan system with boiler in utility room and separate hot water tank, pump, valve etc in...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Hey there I'm looking for some advice on a potential issue I'm having with an old back boiler. So just moved into my parents' old house with my partner, it's a terrace with back to back chimneys in the kitchen and the sitting room. The fireplace in the kitchen is the old back boiler that hasn't...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock