Discuss Leak onPerformance test on drainage pipework help? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys

Am in need of serious help here. I have just been trying to do a performance test for a bungalow where all the pipes from the sanware is buried in screed.

Now i test the drainage by using the manhole and bunging this pipe. But, the air is just dropping.

My question is, how the heck do i find this leak in the system when its above ground?

Is there a machine i can hire any where?

Regards

Mutley

You dont have any shower trays do you? I've had a few tests fail with the crappy traps that come with them!

Any AAVs fitted? If so check it's closing properly. Check all fittings you can access if it still fails then you have a problem. Are the fittings under the screed solvent weld?

yes, i have 2 shower traps. Not shower trays as they are boTH in wetrooms.

No AAV'S and yes, all fittings under screed are solvent weld

Blow into the tube and see if you are getting any blow back at all. If there is a bit blow back it is a big leak. If none there is an open end somewhere.

Is it possible to isolate sections to narrow down your search? Are there any accesses on the 4 inch? The hatches normally leak for me. Have you checked the test equipment? Often this is what's leaking and not the pipework itself but the bungs. Multiquiks that are not correctly installed are another main offender. Have you tried spraying accessible joins with washing up liquid solution and checking for bubbles. How.much is it dropping? If its only a.tiny amount the inspector will pass it in my experience-its not like its a gas carcass! Good luck mate soil testing really is a poo job!

if you can get balloons and try and test above ground seperate from below ground, this way you will be able to narrow the search.

Well, I went back to the bungalow to do the test and tried everything possible as you guys said. Tested the underground drainage pipe seperately. Fine, so it must be my waste pipes underground.

So tested each individual branch seperately and they all seemed to hold.

So then tested the whole lot again, and it just dropped straight away.

Then the boss starts to play around a bit with his testing kit, and low and behold, after some pushing and pulling on the tubes, we test again, and it all works!!!

So, i believe it was his old knackered testing kit. He doesn't.

So now onto bathroom two. We test, it fails, we dig up the patio and seperate the rain water and soil connection to test the soil, it still drops. Now am thinking, it's his dodgey test kit. He does not.

So back again next week, to narrow the search again. I have decided am going to buy my own testing kit, ready for next week.

An suggestions on good ones?

Thanks for all the help chaps.

This forumn has got me out of jail on numerous occasions!!

You just learn so much.

to test your equipment get a length of 4" pipe bung it on each end and test it, if it drops then your equipment isn't up to scratch

Take the bellows and the y piece and throw it to ... well, bin it. The bellows are a PITA for leaking through the small hole. Just use the guage and the tube and blow in it, kink the hose and put it on the guage. After a couple of trys you will know how much you need to blow in (not that much).
Use decent test bungs. Metal and brass. The plastic ones are junk.
Use pvc ballons rather than the canvas bag ones. They seal better and easier.

If you really can't find a leak, if it is small, learn the arts of deception :wink:

Take the bellows and the y piece and throw it to ... well, bin it. The bellows are a PITA for leaking through the small hole. Just use the guage and the tube and blow in it, kink the hose and put it on the guage. After a couple of trys you will know how much you need to blow in (not that much).
Use decent test bungs. Metal and brass. The plastic ones are junk.
Use pvc ballons rather than the canvas bag ones. They seal better and easier.

If you really can't find a leak, if it is small, learn the arts of deception :wink:

Agree with all of the above. Tamz is spot on.

Forgot to say I use a McAlpine compression coupling with a rodding eye in the end to cap off 2, 1.5 and 1.25 inch pipe, I find it a much more reliable and cheaper (I think) way to cap ends off. For 4 inch it's got to be test bags alll the way. You can get a 4 inch test bag with a test point for your rubber hose - I find this very useful.

I always use multifits and access caps too. The small bungs are also junk.

can be a nightmare drainage tests, especially when the underground drainage pipe has already been "passed" but when you go to test it you don't even get a blow back !

Hey chaps, well i have come back from testing the other waste pipes in 2nd bathroom. And as i did not trust my boss' testing kit, i bought a new one at the weekend. And it turned out to be exactly what you guys said. Leaking from the bellows.

So we used mine and all was fine.

What a relief. Am glad we didnt have to break up all the floor.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I think it is must to test the pipework as you go. Like you said. and if possible, do not run the pipes below the screed. Although, in a bungalow where the custard wants a wet room, you have no choice.

Thanks

Mutley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leak onPerformance test on drainage pipework help? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock