Discuss Issue with toilet flush after new siphon and closed couple unit fitted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jimb7174

Hi there,

I fitted a new siphon to my toilet yesterday, also replaced the closed coupling connector, all ok but now I have had to make the screw on the ball cock valve to be at the maxium it can be otherwise the ball float gets stuck on the new siphon and does not stop the water from the inlet valve.

this now means that we dont get a full flush when using the toilet.

I am not sure I have used the correct terminology so please bare with me!!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It sounds like the arm of the ball valve is fouling (touching) the new siphon in such a way that it prevents the arm from rising up to close the fill valve. If that's the case, slacken off the backnut from the siphon and reposition it slightly so that the arm is free to move.

It sounds like the arm of the ball valve is fouling (touching) the new siphon in such a way that it prevents the arm from rising up to close the fill valve. If that's the case, slacken off the backnut from the siphon and reposition it slightly so that the arm is free to move.

Thanks for responding, yes that's exactly what is happening, so just need to locate this "backnut" and slightly move the arm. Great, thanks for you help - I will try this tonight and post back later.

Cheers

Thanks for responding, yes that's exactly what is happening, so just need to locate this "backnut" and slightly move the arm. Great, thanks for you help - I will try this tonight and post back later.

Cheers

No, not what I meant, sorry if I was unclear!

The nut I am referring to is the one underneath the siphon itself, that holds the siphon on to the cistern, It sits between the cistern and toilet, and the close coupling kit goes around it. If you slacken that off a little bit, you'll be able to rotate the siphon so that the float valve arm doesn't touch it.

Of course, of you've got a brass arm on the float valve you may be able to carefully bend the arm a little to give you clearance.

No, not what I meant, sorry if I was unclear!

The nut I am referring to is the one underneath the siphon itself, that holds the siphon on to the cistern, It sits between the cistern and toilet, and the close coupling kit goes around it. If you slacken that off a little bit, you'll be able to rotate the siphon so that the float valve arm doesn't touch it.

Of course, of you've got a brass arm on the float valve you may be able to carefully bend the arm a little to give you clearance.

Hi Masood,
No I don't have a brass arm, it's plastic which is frustrating and seriously cacked in limescale - guessing its never been replaced. You say if I remove the backnut and rotate the siphon, what conuses me even more here is the flush mechanism, as if I twist too far I will have problems just being able to flush the damn thing. But I assume you are meaning that if I turn just a small bit I should free up enough room for the ball cock arm to be free to lift up and down thus meaning I tighten the flush screw so when I flush the loo it gives us a full flush rather than a hafl or less flush!

I have just seen the brass ball cock arms on plumb world for less than a tenner so it may be prudent in getting one ordered as worse case I can just bend the arm slightly if all else fails.

So can I assume the replacement siphon and closed coupling unit is pretty simple job in the scheme of things, and its just fine tuning the replacement parts.

Thanks for your assistance.

Hi Masood,
But I assume you are meaning that if I turn just a small bit I should free up enough room for the ball cock arm to be free to lift up and down thus meaning I tighten the flush screw so when I flush the loo it gives us a full flush rather than a hafl or less flush!

With a bit of patience it is possible to adjust it to get both full and half flushes, as well as keeping the arm free. Or, you could replace the fill valve with one of these:

PRO Side Entry Fill Valve with Heavy Duty Brass Shank - PRO Series - Our Products

Which does away with the ball and arm altogether...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Issue with toilet flush after new siphon and closed couple unit fitted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock