Discuss Is this a fair price for my services? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Foodface

Hello trusted plumbing people, I'm relatively new to running my own business so most of my posts have been price related and this is going to be too so you'll have to forgive me. I've been doing OK, doing servicing and small jobs mainly but it's the bigger jobs that I'm not sure on my pricing. What do people think to this estimate.

To fit a new condensing all singing boiler in replace of an old combi.

Installing an I-mini 24 he, with system flushing as required, including time-clock, pipe, fittings and labour at £1251.13.

It's for a landlord so I've been told to skim as much of if I want the job, the above price means I'd be earning £350 for my wares and I reckon with full commissioning will take me just under two days. I don't think I'll get the job cos the guy is a scrooge, but what I want to know is whether or not I'm in the right area cos I don't want to be too pricey or be selling myself short.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Foodface

I started up early this month and all ive been doing is small jobs, boiler repairs and servicing! Done 3 quotes for full central heating and i think ive missed out too!

Tip ive learnt from the others. Once you have a price, STICK to it! Even if they say can you do it for £50/£100 less. If you agree they will think your ripping them off somewhere since all your budging will be on your labour.

Remember to add 20% on your materials for stuff you've missed or if anything goes wrong later on!

In my opinion:

1. He's a landlord so he has money - why lower your prices at your expense?

2. You're feeling (by the tone of your language) slightly nervous about being paid for this job, especially if you charge more. Running a business is a risk. Noticed how the banks charge more to riskier businesses? You should do the same. When doing a tiny job for someone local who's got their wallet out I'm happy with a couple of notes. If they ask for an invoice the price doubles because they might not pay - covering risk.

3. Don't think you'll get the job? Have confidence!! Think negatively and you won't get the job. Act like you've got the job and you'll get it. Start planning in your head how you're going to do the job and you've just about got your foot in the door as when you next speak to him your language will help him know that you know what you're doing.

4. You won't win every job you see but there are around 28m houses in the country and something like 20m+ have a gas boiler. These require replacing about every 12 years so there are plenty more boilers to fit in the weeks ahead (we're coming up for the busy season.)

5. Presumably, you don't think twice about someone wanting to have a basin tap replaced - it's easy to get yourself into this frame of mind when it comes to changing hot water cylinders, boilers, etc. Don't worry about how you're going to do the job when you get it. Someone else a few years ago managed to put the old boiler in - you're job is much easier. Worry (if need be) when you get the job and don't be frightened of asking for help (either here or GasSafe or whoever). I've fitted around 15 (oil) boilers now and am perfectly capable of doing them on my own but I still ask an OFTEC friend to help me with the next one. It makes the job easier and we both ask each other questions to ensure we're getting it right. Perhaps find a local plumber to help you out?

6. If you do get this job it might be worth asking for materials money up front and refuse to start the job until this has been paid. Some landlords are excellent but there are a few rogues around too. (One job I didn't get was partly because I had an issue about not being paid. My quote was for £1,600 for an £800 job. I'd asked to have cleared funds of £800 before I started so if I received the other £800 it was a bonus - this, to me, was an acceptable risk and I took the attitude that there are plenty more fish in the sea who I could trust.)

All, in my most HUMBLE opinion!

£350 for two days labour, flushing and a one year guarantee on your labour!

Much too cheap IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is this a fair price for my services? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH...
Replies
Views
Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise to help. I know exactly what situation it took awhile. On the loft on the 6th floor there is a...
Replies
Views
We have a Daikin Air Source heat pump feeding our hot water and under-floor 8 port manifold heating system. The Daikin has just had its annual...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've not posted for a while, not a plumber, but a keen DIYer who likes to try and do things without bodging if I can. Basically I'm wanting to...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, first post here So I have been boxing in a number of heating pipes that are throughout my garage since the boiler was located there by...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock