Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Is the Marcrist DDM2 or DDM3 to heavy? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

markadams

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have just tried a friends DDM2 core drill and I am concerned that it is too heavy for general core drilling for waste and flue holes. How do other users get on with the weight compared to other drills? I have only ever used a Makita 850W before which was fairy light.

it is heavy. only drawback with it is that there is no speed control on the trigger. other than that great machine and great service and support from marcrist

think if i was buying again would probably get ddm1, i've got ddm2 and 5in cores are a breeze with it, nevergets warm or even hot like some core drills i've used.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Alex,

I guess you own and use one, is it the 2 or 3? Do you find the weight to be a problem?

The DDM1 is only 1200w compared to the 1500w of the DDM2 or 3, it seems to be aimed at people who use it with the percussion cores and not for normal dry cores.

Have you used the DDM1 to compare it?

Last edited:
i bought the ddm2 about a year ago. it is heavy but plenty powerful. used to have a hitachi great drill but got stolen, used the makita didn't rate it several guys i know had one and they went wriong.

It all depends what your doing work wise are coring flues out every other day? or just once a week?

clutch on my ddm2 was really strong and could catch me out when first new had to get marcrist to turn it down so it kicked more easily.

DDm2 is the same size as ddm3
The weight of the machine isn't really an issue once the core bit is in the wall.

quite a bulky machine though. like i said before i would personally get a ddm1 if buying again.

Hi Irish, Your right of course but I would get a near new second hand ddm2.

Alex,

I would be using it all the time but just want something that will do the job asked of it.
I was also looking at the Milwaukee DD2.

Why would you get the DDM1? Is it due to the weight?

i have ddm3 powerfull drill but its heavy if holding above you

I have a DDM2, i got it on a strong reccomendations from a few people. used it for 2 years no probs, then the clutch went for some reason so got it repaired and whilst it was being fixed i borrowed a mates makita 8406 to do a couple of holes on a job.
both me and the apprentice did one hole each through 300m cavity walls built with 4" concrete block (using the same marcrist gold core bit i always used) and both of us were pleasently suprised with it. apprentice asked me why i didn't have one as it was half the size and weight and seemed to do the same job? I'm not sure!
DDM2 is back and has done another 20 holes since with no problems, but if it breaks again the repair and servicing cost coupled with the weight of it might be a factor in "downgrading" to a makita 8406
although i would defo reccomend marcrist gold cores with whatever machine you drive it with

I have a DDM2, i got it on a strong reccomendations from a few people. used it for 2 years no probs, then the clutch went for some reason so got it repaired and whilst it was being fixed i borrowed a mates makita 8406 to do a couple of holes on a job.
both me and the apprentice did one hole each through 300m cavity walls built with 4" concrete block (using the same marcrist gold core bit i always used) and both of us were pleasently suprised with it. apprentice asked me why i didn't have one as it was half the size and weight and seemed to do the same job? I'm not sure!
DDM2 is back and has done another 20 holes since with no problems, but if it breaks again the repair and servicing cost coupled with the weight of it might be a factor in "downgrading" to a makita 8406
although i would defo reccomend marcrist gold cores with whatever machine you drive it with

Hi,

I already have a set of Marcrist Gold cores, I received the DDM2 I ordered and sold it again after drilling one hole, it is a great drill but weighs far to much to be practical on a day to day basis.

I have now purchased the Milwaukee core drill which has half the weight. A mate of mine has the Makita, it is good but is only 850W compared to 1500W for the Milwaukee and Marcrist.

Hi,

I already have a set of Marcrist Gold cores, I received the DDM2 I ordered and sold it again after drilling one hole, it is a great drill but weighs far to much to be practical on a day to day basis.

I have now purchased the Milwaukee core drill which has half the weight. A mate of mine has the Makita, it is good but is only 850W compared to 1500W for the Milwaukee and Marcrist.

got a cheap set of Turbolite's and am using a Makita 710 sds,impressed so far

Hi,

Id consider myself more of an aquaintance ;-)

Id always thought the makita was great, but the last couple of holes have been a right cow. A good set of cores make all the difference I think, my erbaur one with a tooth missing just doesnt make the grade any more............. when can I abuse your new ones Mark

got the makita 8706 does what it should had it 8 years,but as for a marcrist being heavy try holding a kango 637 above your head you bunch of soft tarts

got the makita 8706 does what it should had it 8 years,but as for a marcrist being heavy try holding a kango 637 above your head you bunch of soft tarts

Kango 637 is bigger than Mark he needs a stepladder to change a tap washer, he would never get it above his head ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is the Marcrist DDM2 or DDM3 to heavy? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock