Search the forum,

Discuss Intermittant sewage / Rotten Eggs smell from downstairs toilet - please help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

helpingdan

Hi all

I am new to the forum and really looking for some help - I am not a plumber nor an experienced DIY-er.

We moved into our new house a couple of weeks ago and a couple of nights in we noticed a bit of a stench in the hallway which was ultimately coming from the downstairs toilet. It smelt as if someone has been to the toilet and either not sprayed or flushed. The next morning the smell had gone, although the toilet still didnt smell great.

When we had a plumber come to fit a new gas hob for us he also checked out the toilet and he said he couldnt see any leaks or blockages but he definitely could get a whiff when he smelt down the back of the toilet towards the pipe that goes into the floor/wall. He said there was some gaps in the plasterboard/skirting boards and as a trial and elimination process to cover the holes with bags and tape it up.

After doing this the smell didnt appear that night but was back again the following night.

Someone else thought it may be the plastic piping with a seal in it at the back of the U-bend of the toilet and to try sealing that up, which we have done with silicone - still no difference.

The plumber came back again yesterday and sealed the front of the pipe that goes into the floor as thats where he reckons the smell is coming from and he said to pop off the skirting board and seal around the back of that pipe that he couldnt get to. I intend to do this over the weekend with the help of a carpenter I know. However, last night was the worst the smell has been.

At 8.30/9pm I came downstairs from putting my daughter to bed and no smell, by 10pm when I went back upstairs it stank in the downstairs toilet. The smell was gone by this morning.

I have taken up the lino flooring from the toilet as we are getting new ones in a couple of weeks to see if that is part of the problem. I have also checked the inspection chamber drain this morning - no blockages and when the toilet is flushed the water passes through the drain quickly and with no issues.

I am really hoping someone else has some other ideas? It is very annoying.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Thanks

Difficult to tell without seeing pictures of how it's installed but your toilet waste stack may rise to about shoulder height and have an air admittance valve fitted, if it's faulty, fitted wrong or pretty old it can let smells out.

Is your upstairs toilet directly above the downstairs, or is it on the opposite end of the house?

Difficult to tell without seeing pictures of how it's installed but your toilet waste stack may rise to about shoulder height and have an air admittance valve fitted, if it's faulty, fitted wrong or pretty old it can let smells out.

Is your upstairs toilet directly above the downstairs, or is it on the opposite end of the house?

The upstairs toilet would be just about directly above, but also have an ensuite at the opposite end of the house. Neither of them smell.

But in relation to waste stack, air admittance valves etc I have no idea what you are talking about.

change multiwik at back of the pan

Thanks, I reckon that is a job for a plumber rather than myself attempting it. I have a plumber coming round today to look at the issue and I will say this suggestion.

The water from your basin trap could be gettin drawn out when water is let go from the bathroom above, allowing the smell to come up.

again it's all guess work without seeing it but fitting an anti-syphon trap could solve it, always good to have one fitted anyway even if that isn't the route of the problem so nothing lost either way

I agree with glasgow plumber,.As its an intermittent smell Its most likely your basin trap being sucked dry by the down flow from upstairs, then when basin is used again the trap fills up until the next flush from above.
If your wc pan connector was at fault you would more than likely have water leaking as well.
If there was a leaking waste under the floorboards, the smell would probably be constant.

I agree with glasgow plumber,.As its an intermittent smell Its most likely your basin trap being sucked dry by the down flow from upstairs, then when basin is used again the trap fills up until the next flush from above.
If your wc pan connector was at fault you would more than likely have water leaking as well.
If there was a leaking waste under the floorboards, the smell would probably be constant.

Wax seal top of multiwik gone won't leak most of the time
has this smell always been ther or has it just started

Wax seal top of multiwik gone won't leak most of the time
has this smell always been ther or has it just started
They've just moved in, been doing it since they arrived according to OP

Not vented properly! Stack should terminate above roof! If this is a problem to fix, vent directly to the toilet were smell is coming from!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Intermittant sewage / Rotten Eggs smell from downstairs toilet - please help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Hello I have a mystery, my bathroom has a sewage smell appears to get far worse 5pm-9pm. I have plugged my bathroom/sink with plugs and its 100% coming from the toilet. Tried Lugi worlds best plunger, that air gun blaster and 50 buckets of hot water down the toilet for 2-3 days and no joy, the...
Replies
Views
My living room smells like a sewer but I can't tell where it is coming from. Not sure where to start looking. The saniflo discharge pipe runs above but there is no sign of leakage on the ceiling. The main drain run from the manhole at the back runs under the kitchen, which has a solid floor...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have noticed for a while now that when our washing machine nears the end of a cycle we get a bad smell of dirty water in the downstairs toilet which is next door. We have moved the washing machine as we are having floor tiles put down and have noticed that the waste pipe is full of dark...
Replies
Views
L
Hi all, First post here so please be patient. We recently had our ensuite remodelled and were initially really happy with the result. However, there is now sometimes a smell of raw sewage which I have tracked to the back-to-wall toilet (it could have been the shower or the sink). It's not...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock