Discuss Indirect cylinder used solely as an immersion heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
more chance of the cylinder bursting than the coil and what\ about all the other piupework that could burst

Have you been plumbing long mate?

I am an industrial commercial pipefitter by trade, I am ok at domestic plumbing and have my domestic gas safe, but housebashing is not my background, hence why I come on here, theres some great people on here whom most of them give sound advice.

No need at all. The coil is a lot stronger than the rest of the cylinder as they are designed to work at 3 bar on sealed systems.

A 14" immersion isn't going to give him much hot water.

Not top fixed anyway. On some cylinders you get a 14" in the side (top and bottom) and the result is a tank full of water. The basic rule is animmersion will only heat water to the same length. It won't heat water below. So the majority of your clients cylinder is going to be unheated.

Last edited:
Thank you Danny, as stated I did originally have a 27", I dont know why the tapping isnt angled in the first place, seems stupid to me. I will try to bend the tapping and change the immersion.

I see what you mean a 14" top entry immersion is only gonna heat top third of tank. Do you mean you have 1 14" in the top and another one in the bottom of some cylinders?

Kind of. They are side entry and one is in the bottom (a few inches up) and another one in the top third. (For a booster supply).

You mainly see this on unvented cylinders and thermal stores. More often they'll use an 11" immersion, but I know a Gledhill that uses a 14".

I've also come across it on conventional vented cylinders. You can also get side entry 14" immersion heaters that are over 3KW (but it's rare) I've got one client who's got a bloody great big house with two cylinders. One of them has a 6KW 14" side entry immersion.

I know this is all besides the point but once I start rambling I tend to get carried away. A few years back, one of these cylinders in the clients house sprung a leak and I had to change it. Was a good day for scrap....but back then wasn't as valuable as it is today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Indirect cylinder used solely as an immersion heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have read of hot water cylinders being heated with a dual element immersion heater. The main principle being that a shorter element heats the...
Replies
Views
After some advice, i have recently had solar panels fitted and have an Eddi which uses the energy we generate to heat the cylinder using the...
Replies
Views
W
Hi all. So I have an OSO Super SXD 180 immersion heater and it is pouring a huge amount of water out of the cold water pressure relief valve...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler. I may have solar panels in the future...
Replies
Views
I had a new water heater element fitted a few weeks ago that heats water at night on economy 7. Previous heater elements have been very quiet but...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock