Discuss Impact Drills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the 18v makita, had it for 4years, absolutely battered but drives a screw like nothing else! Be lost without it now.

The little 10v makita is pretty nifty too (for light work)

Doe's anybody use one and what is the difference?

You'll know the difference when you try to drill a hard masonry or concrete wall. On masonry, impact drills are hard work compared to sds rotary hammer drills. They can be smaller though & are good for wood, steel etc . For an all round drill, your money would be better spent on an sds drill. it just depends what you intend using it for.

You'll know the difference when you try to drill a hard masonry or concrete wall. On masonry, impact drills are hard work compared to sds rotary hammer drills. They can be smaller though & are good for wood, steel etc . For an all round drill, your money would be better spent on an sds drill. it just depends what you intend using it for.

lol,lol

An impact driver is not for drilling holes it's for sending screws home. They do it effortlessly and faster than a drill driver. Totally different than an sds drill which is obviously for drilling holes

i have a dewalt one, just getting used to it but i am wondering if all makes have only one speed?.

when screwing with a combi you can start of small screws slowly without pilot drilling.

are all impacts the same?.

once you get into the habit of using an impact driver youll not go back to a screwdriver like every tool it takes a little practice to operate the trigger my 12v makita has a light on which a slight preasure on the trigger illuminates the screw without spinning
unless your driving 3 inch screws into hardwood all day get a 12v one as its light enough to use all the time i use mine for everything boiler screws, clipping,even pans and basins can be fixed once your confident on the trigger ,like most power drivers they are no good on slotted screws
dont waste money on the flashy bit holders the straight foward mag ones are best ive got three lengths plus a flexi and an angle attachment

once you get into the habit of using an impact driver youll not go back to a screwdriver like every tool it takes a little practice to operate the trigger my 12v makita has a light on which a slight preasure on the trigger illuminates the screw without spinning
unless your driving 3 inch screws into hardwood all day get a 12v one as its light enough to use all the time i use mine for everything boiler screws, clipping, even basins and pans can be fixed once your confident on the trigger ,like most power drivers they are no good on slotted screws
dont waste money on the flashy bit holders the straight foward mag ones are best ive got three lengths plus a flexi and an angle attachment

really, an impact driver on basins & pans, better you than me steve.

So is an impact driver ever really suited for a plumber? Seems more like joiners tool for screwing in loads of plasterboard sheets etc

they are good for torqing up radiator brackets, building up flat pack units, say a vanity unit and screwing down floorboards etc

Never owned one but a few lads i know use them and like them. Only complaint is the amount of screwdriver bits they go through.

Use a hand impact driver, - ( for those that don't know what it is, it's a screwdriver that you hit with a hammer & it is for solely loosening or tightening screws a tiny turn). Only really for very tight or rusted screws in solid walls, or on cars etc.

Does the hand impact driver do basins and pans as well?
Lol! Assume you are joking? No, just for solid walls etc, & very good for removing the screw in brake discs of cars, just to slacken screw a little. I wouldn't go near basins & pans with anything except an ordinary screwdriver.

ive seen an electrician fit a toilet with an 18v dewalt impact (don't ask) no damage done on that occaision but is a bit risky.

i mainly use mine for rad brackets but make sure the hole is a little slack because it rips the heads off the bolts. i also use it for removing the hex bolts that hold some old balnced flue's to the liner.

I use mine till its almost tight then finish up with a regular screwdriver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've got a 1/2" sparky 12v Impact gun with a screwdriver attachment. Batteries don't last long but it was in the clearance bit in Tradepoint last time they had a clear out, cost me around ÂŁ80. Would like to get a new makita set but finding it hard to justify at the moment as I'm coping ok with the sparky impact and makita sds.

Doe's anybody use one and what is the difference?

No clutch and much more powerful and efficient at driving screws than a standard drill driver. The impact action ensures there is also far less chance of camming out and rounding the screws and therefore far less stress on the user, you do not need exert much force to keep the bit in contact with the head.

Even my little 12v makita impact driver delivers 140 Nm which will tackle 6" wood screws with ease, for ordinary jobs with ordinary sized screws
it just eats them. Just make sure the bits are reasonable quality and a decent fit for the screws or they will get chewed or broken.

One of my favourite tools andcouldnt live without it. If youre running pipe all day buy one, makes it light and easy work. I had the 18v makita for nearly 5 years but it got nicked so now I've got a little 10.4v dewalt and it's a little beauty, hasn't failed me once

And it was on offer for ÂŁ120 with a 14v dewalt combi drill in screwfix absolute bargain, all lithium ion batteries

I've got the makita lithium 18v one and i love it. I screw everything with it apart from taking boiler covers off and such. All my pottery is fit with an impact driver and as yet to crack any pottery. As somebody said the trigger is the speed press it softer if your worried. When this breaks i will definitely be buying another, i would be lost without it. When i first got it i hated it but after a few goes you learn to love it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Impact Drills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Oil experts. I had a grant wall boiler with a failed transformer. Carried out a service and pretty sooty nozzle, and baffles build up suggest...
Replies
Views
L
We're in the process of doing grounds work for a new garden office, and unfortunately my go-to plumber is away and uncontactable at present. We...
Replies
Views
I am not a plumber, but very fluent in residential plumbing. My Daughter has a building in town. There are 2 Woodford wall hydrants. Neither one...
Replies
Views
Does anybody have any experience of Zamori acrylic shower trays and how they perform in use? - also how they compare to the (very heavy) stone...
Replies
Views
We have a bathroom where drainage runs across the house to soil stack. After shower especially in night when there is high temperature difference...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock