• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss I'm looking for a way into the plumbing trade in the Plumbing Courses area at PlumbersForums.net

scott_d

Plumber
Gas Engineer
A very good point about how an employer would have to pay for me rather than me earning them money. I currently work full time so would find it very difficult to be able to get on with a plumber for a couple of days a week as my missus works weekends and I look after my daughter.

Would there be any kind of company where I can use my current skills (I'm a skilled welder) that would also allow me to finish my plumbing quals? That way I wouldn't be a burden and could still get the papers I want. Any ideas?
Pipe fitter / pipe welder

Ric2013

Plumber
In Italy, practically every time-served (or old) plumber can weld. It's a useful skill when working with steel pipe as it saves on time and expense of fittings, especially on larger diameters of pipe.

In the UK, low carbon steel tube is largely reserved for commercial projects.

If you are an experienced welder, you may find it easier to get a job for a firm that works in commercial and industrial settings than in domestic. Otherwise your welding skill will not really be an extra asset to the firm.

Reply to I'm looking for a way into the plumbing trade in the Plumbing Courses area at PlumbersForums.net