• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss I'm looking for a way into the plumbing trade in the Plumbing Courses area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone, I hope someone will be able to guide me.
I am 31 and have my level 2 diploma in plumbing and heating, I currently work as a maintenance engineer and am desperately seeking a way into the plumbing trade, I would love to do an apprenticeship but like most cannot afford to take such a massive pay cut, I feel my only other option is to work as a plumbers mate (which i have some experience in) but am desperately struggling to find any job openings offering such a role.
Id love to work with/under someone with extensive knowledge and a professional approach to I can learn and nurture my own professional values.
any help/advice would be massively appreciated.
I am from southeast London (Bermondsey).

thank you all :D

WC1

Gas Engineer
You could wait years for a mentor. If you're in London and you've got a qualification I would just start taking on small jobs on a self employed basis esp weekend and evening. If youve an ounce of sense, work will be coming out your ears before you know it. Don't bite off anything too complex. Crack the f on, I say.

S

Sweeney247

You could wait years for a mentor. If you're in London and you've got a qualification I would just start taking on small jobs on a self employed basis esp weekend and evening. If youve an ounce of sense, work will be coming out your ears before you know it. Don't bite off anything too complex. Crack the f on, I say.
Well said mate I appreciate your comments truly 🙌🏻 maybe I should just have some faith in my own ability and crack on.

WC1

Gas Engineer
Small jobs here and there. Walk away from anything too complex. Even if something gets a bit tricky and you don't earn what you thought you might - and that will happen a lot at first. Regard it all as training for which you are being paid something.

Reply to I'm looking for a way into the plumbing trade in the Plumbing Courses area at PlumbersForums.net