Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Ideal Standard Alto dual flush cistern query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pottonian

Good morning all -

This is my first post on here and as a complete novice to plumbing matters, please bear with me for any ignorance! :)

I've had a couple of new loos fitted in our house which are both Ideal Standard Alto dual flushes and I'm not convinced that the dual flushing is working properly - i.e. on one of them the "short" flush seems to almost empty the cistern (about 4cm from the bottom of the cistern). I've had a look on the web and seen some comments about problems occurring if the rods are too short - I've got my father-in-law coming next week who's considerably more DIY-handy than I am so if necessary, he'll be able to fit some new rods as I've just ordered a set.

My question is really about what happens if it *isn't* the rods that are the problem? Because we've got two of the loos fitted, I've tried swapping the cistern lids (with the push buttons and rods attached) and this doesn't seem to have made a difference. I've then tried manually pushing the plastic lever down (i.e. the bit that pushing the "short flush" push button would depress) and this also seems to use most of the water in the cistern (apart from the 4cm or so I mentioned before). This is making me wonder if there's something that needs adjusting in the main assembly. If so, please can anyone give some points on what and to what level it should be adjusted?

Sorry if I've been far too vague - if anyone wants to have a stab at answering this and needs some more info, please let me know and I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide -

Ian

I've just fitted (well half, the valve was busted so waiting on a new one) an Ideal Standard Alto toilet too. The instructions say the rods have to be cut to exactly the right length to ensure that it works properly. What I found was that if they were too short then the button would depress a little before actually getting any resistance from the valve. With the correct length there is resistance from the button as soon as the button is depressed even a little.

To test it out just pull the rods out and pop something in the hole to pad it out a few mm and then pop the rods back in. With the rods now technically being longer you should be able to test it out. Just a bit of folded up paper should do to give you the extra few mm.

From the limited time I was playing with it all it dodnt look like there was anything on the actual valve that you could adjust to get different settings.

This is on the assumption your problem hasn't been resolved in the last week!

As I said, we've only got the pan connected at the moment and are having to bucket flush as the valve was cracked and so couldn't be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal Standard Alto dual flush cistern query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock