Search the forum,

Discuss I have a pluming question about my home central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

julianhaines

Hi,

I have a pluming question about my home central heating, Ihave a BAXI 3 50 FP which was installed about 10 years ago which is used forhot water and heating.

I also have:

1. A water cylinder in my airing cupboard heatedvia the BAXI

2. A small open radiator header tank in the loft
  3. 2 x large 25G open water tanks in the loft

My question is are the two large 25G water tanks for hot orcold water storage? I have tested the water yesterday and its totally cold butcould this be that it’s just not heated at the moment I tested?

I think I have checked before a long time ago and the waterwas hot? Could it be that the replacement of the boiler for the BAXI the tankswere re-purposed?

Regards

Joolz

The tanks in your loft will be for feeding cold water to the rest of the house including your hot water cylinder. It is in this cylinder that the water will be heated for use at hot taps. There could be a number of reasons for some of the water being warmer in the tanks but i wouldn't worry yourself about it unless it's happening regularly

Those tanks replenish the water in your cylinder as you draw off the hot water. At one time they would also have provided the cold supply to the bathroom. That may or may not have been converted to mains cold at some point.

If the water in the tank was warm then you've got a problem with your cylinder and you need to get a plumber with the G3 qualification to have a look.

They are your cold water storage cisterns for your hot water cylinder in your airing cupboard . As you use hot water via the taps or shower, they refill it to be heated again inside the cylinder.

The tanks in your loft will be for feeding cold water to the rest of the house including your hot water cylinder. It is in this cylinder that the water will be heated for use at hot taps. There could be a number of reasons for some of the water being warmer in the tanks but i wouldn't worry yourself about it unless it's happening regularly

Must learn to type faster...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I have a pluming question about my home central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original heating installed when the house was built, and this revision was largely to replace a life-expired boiler: non-condensing fan flue boiler open...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Good Morning. I've been having an issue for a couple of days, that my nest thermostat is demanding heat, but the boiler does not activate. However, when using the heat link manual button, the heating works fine for around 2 hours. I have recently replaced the pump from a wilks gold rs50 to a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I would really appreciate some advice on a proposed change to my central heating circuit. I am able to divert excess electricity from my recent solar PV installation to one (or two) hot water tanks and I would like to plumb in a small hot water tank in parallel with my central heating...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock