Search the forum,

Discuss nest thermostat not activating central heating in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Good Morning.

I've been having an issue for a couple of days, that my nest thermostat is demanding heat, but the boiler does not activate. However, when using the heat link manual button, the heating works fine for around 2 hours.

I have recently replaced the pump from a wilks gold rs50 to a Grundfos UPS3. After replacing this, the heating ran fine for 2 days, then the thermostat started playing up. When I changed the pump, only a small amount of water was lost from the system, however, i can't find any pressure gauges anywhere to check if it is pressure related?

I have contacted Nest, and completed a continuity test, and the heat link is working as it should. When the demand for heat comes through, there is a click, then the actuator opens as normal, however, the pump does not kick in and neither does the boiler. As mentioned above, the heating comes on when the manual button is pressed, but only seems to stay on for around 2 hours before it stops heating the radiators. (the boiler and pump continue to run, presumably to continue producing hot water)

The central heating actuator is a Drayton ZA5 and the hot water actuator is a Range (cant find model number) Its an open vented system (i think) with a water tank in the loft.

If it’s open vented, then you won’t find a pressure gauge as these apply to sealed systems. Sounds more likely that the ZA5 isn‘t making the microswitch each time, or it’s sticking. Next time it fails, try measuring the voltage at the orange wire from the 2 port. The ZA5 brings on the pump and boiler, not the thermostat, the thermostat sends the signal to the ZA5.

If it’s open vented, then you won’t find a pressure gauge as these apply to sealed systems. Sounds more likely that the ZA5 isn‘t making the microswitch each time, or it’s sticking. Next time it fails, try measuring the voltage at the orange wire from the 2 port. The ZA5 brings on the pump and boiler, not the thermostat, the thermostat sends the signal to the ZA5.
Thanks for the response. will test this and report back, if this is the case, I'm assuming its a new ZA5?

Ok, thanks. What am i looking for when i test the orange wire? Apologies for my ignorance, I've only really used multimeters for continuity on PCBs.
Select correct voltage (AC) if manual ranging meter select closest to 240vac, but make sure it’s higher not lower, so 300vac, 750vac et al, and test between neutral or Earth and the orange and you should have approx 230 - 240 Volts AC.

Select correct voltage (AC) if manual ranging meter select closest to 240vac, but make sure it’s higher not lower, so 300vac, 750vac et al, and test between neutral or Earth and the orange and you should have approx 230 - 240 Volts A
I've tested the orange cable against the earth & neutral, and nothing comes through, when tested with live its around 230-240v. i've tested it both against the terminals coming from the boiler, and also from the Nest heat link (im assuming both are the same). Both neutral and earth have no voltage when paired with the orange cable

I've tested the orange cable against the earth & neutral, and nothing comes through, when tested with live its around 230-240v. i've tested it both against the terminals coming from the boiler, and also from the Nest heat link (im assuming both are the same). Both neutral and earth have no voltage when paired with the orange cable
Sorry I might not have explained it properly, did you test this with a demand?

Ok, so if you’ve nowt on the orange with demand, and it’s definitely receiving voltage from the heatlink, then your ZA5 is kerput.
Ok, just so i understand what is going on, the valve is opening when it receives demand, but i am assuming it is not returning the signal to the boiler or pump to turn on?

Would you say this is related to the change of pump? I assume its just a coincidence that they have both gone around the same time?

Yep that’s what’s happening, the valve can open, but if it doesn’t make the microswitch or the microswitch has failed the the voltage won’t be delivered to the pump and boiler. Coincidence they’ve gone at the same time.

Reply to nest thermostat not activating central heating in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock