Search the forum,

Discuss how to connect my boiler to a nest or a hive in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sebastienj

Hi all,

I have a vaillant ecoTect 832 (combi boiler) with a vaillant RF 350 thermostat and I am looking into replacing it with a smart thermostat either the nest or the hive.

I am guessing I will have to remove the RF 350 panel from the boiler for this to work, right? I did not keep the original panel. Hopefully this won't be a problem.

I have been looking at the instruction for both models.

nest:
http://www.directheatingsupplies.co.uk/pdfs/Nest Thermostat Installation Guide UK.pdf

hive:
http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/pa_1286225.pdf

For the nest I need to identify what sort of system I have. Switched live or low voltage. Can anyone help with this?

Also the boiler's manual and the boiler's board don't have any reference about the pins 1, 2 or 3 which are mentioned in both manuals.

I have a slight idea that one of the loops either'burner off' or '24v= RT' will need to be removed and connected to the heat link.

Can anyone help me identify where the wires for the pins 1, 2 and 3 should be connected in the boiler for the nest and the hive. It would be help full if someone could annotate on the picture where the nest and the vive connection should go.

Here is a picture of the board: IMG_20161210_124321.jpg

Here is the schematic from the user's manual:IMG_20161210_144713.jpg
the full manual can be found here:
https://www.vaillant.co.uk/downloads/training-centre-maps/new-erp-manuals/0020209591-00-new-ecotec-plus-user-manual-491470.pdf
11 is 'contact thermostat/burner off'
12 is 24v dc room thermostat
13 is bus connection

Thanks
Seb

Last edited by a moderator:
you will need a gas Safe engineer as you are not qualified to remove the front cover unfortunately mate. You have no way of testing any combustion seals once you have done so

it is just electrical, I am not going to mess with anything else.

Wiring cables from one end to another will not affect how the boiler is currently working.

Showing what you don't understand buddy. I'm not saying it to be obstructive but the cover of boilers creates part of the combustion seal i.e. Affecting the amount of air getting into the actual burner. As I said before you have no experience or knowledge to be able to test to ensure that a seal is intact/damaged and is still creating that seal to ensure correct combustion

As per the rules of the forum we don't give DIY info re the internals of boilers be it electrics water ways or gas

It is in fact illegal to remove the cover unless you are suitable qualified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to how to connect my boiler to a nest or a hive in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am trying to link a Hive heating & hot water dual channel receiver to an old Vaillant THERMOcompact VU GB 242/1 E system boiler. It has an internal programmer that is similar to a time switch 120 (plug in seven day programmer) This programmer is connect to a terminal strip using 345 (three...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just wanted to share my experience with "upgrading" an S plan setup to Opentherm and Vaillant Control Center (VR66). There are a few threads on a few different forums but I wanted to share a full write-up with all the steps needed, benefits and costs. Overall, I fully recommend...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Does anyone have experience of using a VR33 (for Heating OpenTherm control with Nest) and a VR66 for Hot Water Priority with Vaillant system boilers? I'm specifically using an EcoTec plus 624 I've got a system working with a Nest and VR66 to provide hot water priority and it works well with...
Replies
Views
My boiler is currently powered by a switched fused spur. The spur is located 40cm underneath the boiler. I haven't checked but it is probably a 3A fuse. My boiler is an Ideal Logic combi ESP1 35 : https://idealheating.com/uploads/documents/logic-combi-esp1-installation-and-servicing.pdf I would...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock