Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant VR33 (with Nest) and VR66 in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

You can’t have more than one opentherm device sorry

Not strictly correct. You cannot have Mike opentherm zones with Nest. Nest is all flashsy but lacks substance...

EvoHome can handle multiple opentherm zones as can EPH controls.

Do either of these help anyone?

How to install & wire Nest thermostat for dual / multi zone system with radiators and UFH​

How to install Nest thermostat (UK) on an S plan - system with hot water cylinder​

Hi All, can anybody advise what is the correct set-up for SYSTEM Vaillant boilers?

Currently I have the boiler with a junction box for the valves and water cylinder and a classic room thermostat (Salus, On/Off type).

I have the vr33 module as well as a tado unit. Where do I go from there? Do I simply remove the old thermostat, plug the the vr33 on the PCB, and wire tado to the 2-pin connector of the vr33?

Or instead, does the vr33 need to be connected to the junction box somehow?

Thanks

Hi All, can anybody advise what is the correct set-up for SYSTEM Vaillant boilers?

Currently I have the boiler with a junction box for the valves and water cylinder and a classic room thermostat (Salus, On/Off type).

I have the vr33 module as well as a tado unit. Where do I go from there? Do I simply remove the old thermostat, plug the the vr33 on the PCB, and wire tado to the 2-pin connector of the vr33?

Or instead, does the vr33 need to be connected to the junction box somehow?

Thanks
I’ve just completed this install . Run a new 2 core cable from boiler to nest heatlink. Install vr33 believe it connects into x32 port . Connect the new wire to vr33 and nest heatlink, remove old thermostat. Setup nest as open therm

I’ve just completed this install . Run a new 2 core cable from boiler to nest heatlink. Install vr33 believe it connects into x32 port . Connect the new wire to vr33 and nest heatlink, remove old thermostat. Setup nest as open therm

This is an excellent question. How do you get Nest and VR33 to work together on a SYSTEM boiler, WITHOUT a VR65/VR66. Everyone else on this thread seems to describe how they use both VR33 and VR65 /VR66 Control Centre.

Here is my experience having done exactly as SamThor describes (and also bridged the RT24 and disconnected the RT240 live):

The CH is working with fine with modulation, but the boiler is not firing when there is DHW demand from the thermostat, neither is it applying the DHW temperature when both are running. My CW and DHW valves are still being controlled by the Nest thermostat and the DHW boost/charge signal is being sent via OpenTherm (D025 shows “Ext eBus signal: Cylinder charging: On” when there is hot water demand via Nest and off when there is no demand). However, the boiler refuses to fire up, presumably because it is not connected to VR65/VR66 to know the actual status of the valve/cylinder thermostat?

Has anyone managed to install VR33 and an Opentherm thermostat on a system boiler without a Vaillant Control Center? Thanks

This is an excellent question. How do you get Nest and VR33 to work together on a SYSTEM boiler, WITHOUT a VR65/VR66. Everyone else on this thread seems to describe how they use both VR33 and VR65 /VR66 Control Centre.

Here is my experience having done exactly as SamThor describes (and also bridged the RT24 and disconnected the RT240 live):

The CH is working with fine with modulation, but the boiler is not firing when there is DHW demand from the thermostat, neither is it applying the DHW temperature when both are running. My CW and DHW valves are still being controlled by the Nest thermostat and the DHW boost/charge signal is being sent via OpenTherm (D025 shows “Ext eBus signal: Cylinder charging: On” when there is hot water demand via Nest and off when there is no demand). However, the boiler refuses to fire up, presumably because it is not connected to VR65/VR66 to know the actual status of the valve/cylinder thermostat?

Has anyone managed to install VR33 and an Opentherm thermostat on a system boiler without a Vaillant Control Center? Thanks

I'd be happy to try things out Nick, I've ordered the module and a TADO smart thermostat. I also have a spare vr65, and currently wired via classic junction box.

The thing that puzzles me is how did the other guys manage to get it working even with the vr65.

From I understand what they did is:

1. Plug the vr33 on the PCB
2. run 2 core wire between their smart thermostat (Nest) and the vr33
3. run eBus between PCB and vr65
4. Connect the motorised valves to the vr65

If they manage to get control of DHW with this set-up, does it mean that when you select DHW with your phone, connect to the smart thermostat (Nest here), the smart thermostat will then communicate to the PCB via the vr33, which then sends a message through the PCB out to the eBus, which is then sent via eBus cable to the vr65, which will then tell the DHW valve to open and let hot water fill the tank?

That would also mean that the boiler now knows that DHW is ON and needs to stop modulating and heat more so the flow temp is above 60 degrees?

I was able to get the Opentherm, Nest and DHW priority to work once I also installed the VR66, which effectively eliminated the S plan system. The wiring in logic is exactly as you say above Plum47.
I have written about all the steps here in a clean thread (I can't link, you have to search for it)

Vaillant Ecotec system boiler with VR66 and Opentherm (Nest)​

If you change from switch 230v to ot you need to put the link back into the 24v connection on the main board too
Hi, sorry to jump in. Do you mean the 24V RT connection bridge?
I am also thinking to connect Vr33 openTherm module to my Vailliant ecotec pro24 to work with Nest gen3.

I was able to get the Opentherm, Nest and DHW priority to work once I also installed the VR66, which effectively eliminated the S plan system. The wiring in logic is exactly as you say above Plum47.
I have written about all the steps here in a clean thread (I can't link, you have to search for it)

Vaillant Ecotec system boiler with VR66 and Opentherm (Nest)​

Hi, Do I need any of this if I am using Valliant ecotec pro combi boiler with VR33 OpenTherm and Nest ?

Hi, sorry to jump in. Do you mean the 24V RT connection bridge?
I am also thinking to connect Vr33 openTherm module to my Vailliant ecotec pro24 to work with Nest gen3.
Hi Daw

I think what @asoffe said is that if you remove the on/off type 230v control, and switch to a low voltage digital (eBus) connection, you should have a bridge on the "24v = RT" block on the PCB, which is a white block. Then you will connect your + and - on the eBus block if you want to use eBus, which is a orange / reddish block.

Hi, Do I need any of this if I am using Valliant ecotec pro combi boiler with VR33 OpenTherm and Nest ?

Tell us a bit more about what you currently have and what you are trying to do so we can try to help.

I'm setting up the VR66 and have installed the VR33.

Please can someone confirm how to wire 2 Nest stats for the 2 zone system I have. Do I put the VR33 OT wires to both NEST boxes?

Is two zone control possible with this setup. It's currently S plan with Unvented cylinder.

What version of VR66 did you use, there's VR66\2 which is most recent which they say has updated software.

I'm setting up the VR66 and have installed the VR33.

Please can someone confirm how to wire 2 Nest stats for the 2 zone system I have. Do I put the VR33 OT wires to both NEST boxes?

Is two zone control possible with this setup. It's currently S plan with Unvented cylinder.

What version of VR66 did you use, there's VR66\2 which is most recent which they say has updated software.

You can’t wire two nests in opentherm only one stat in the system

Really interesting thread - thanks for sharing experience/knowledge. My house was renovated ~10 years ago.
System comprises Vaillant 624 EcoPlus system boiler with 3 CH zones (rads up, rads down + UFH (HeatMiser UF3) ) plus HW in an unvented Main 210L tank); The UFH has 4 zones with 4 wall stats (as an aside, I think this is unnecessary now as the areas are mostly open plan so a single stat would suffice).
"Interestingly" the two rad zones share a common stat - I think this is fundamentally flawed but rather than fix it I'm looking to do a wholesale upgrade to get more efficient by using modulation + decent controls.

I've ordered a VR33 (FYI you need to create an account to get UK shipping - a guest can only do collect)
As per the excellent info, I was going to get the VR66* but am I right in thinking this will do HW plus one CH zone only?
If so the confusingly named VR61 seems to be twin CH zones + HW capable - could be used instead. is that correct? (I'll probably merge the rads up /down but TBD . I guess my final question is similar to James in that how would this (OT) work with two stats?

Thanks

You can’t wire two nests in opentherm only one stat in the system
Ah shucks. It means Ill have to do a standard S Plan, system boiler 2 Zone NEST setup.

So now I have a VR66, VR33 and VR10 NTC to off load as it’s no use to me.

Unless, does anyone know of any Opentherm programmer/thermostats that will deal the CH plus HW, and a 2nd upstairs CH zone?

Or equivalent Vaillant controls now that I have eBus routed to near the valves?

You could do weather comp and run the nests as stnd on off controls

So now I have a VR66, VR33 and VR10 NTC to off load as it’s no use to me.

Did you still want to sell these? I need to buy some. Thanks

Great helpful thread

Reply to Vaillant VR33 (with Nest) and VR66 in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock