Search the forum,

Discuss how much to fit a basin on a vanity unit? (for a work mate) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys

Got a bloke who works with us, does a bit of painting and decorating.

Has cracked his basin in bathroom and wants it replaced. Will be getting it from our merchants as they supplied the last one so will be aiming for as close a match as possible. Re-using old taps etc ( I will suggest new waste as prob too much hassle to clean up the old one)

He said he has asked our boss to to do it through the company but reckons he will wait too long and he said even though he is our boss he overcharges. Apparently before i started our firm did his bathroom, he paid for all the bits but believes he got ripped off on the labour charges. Wouldn't surprise me but i don't know what he paid.

Asked me how much to swap the basin over but said not to undercharge myself. He isn't tight but i think he resents not getting a mates rate or whatever from our boss.

What do you reckon? Easy enough access plus isolation. I said yeah i'm happy to do it but don't want to step on boss's toes.

I'm thinking £60 for a Saturday morning. Sound fair?

I'd be more like £90. Tip take a set of brass back nuts and some top hats with you if they are plastic I near promise they'll snap when you re fit them

I'd be more like £90. Tip take a set of brass back nuts and some top hats with you if they are plastic I near promise they'll snap when you re fit them

Thanks. Good reminder with the brass nuts, I know i would have forgot those!.

Sorry Ash but £60 is way to cheap! Let's be honest you ain't getting it done in an hour even if your quick! Guarantee it will be 15 min before you even get started, he will want a chat a cup of tee and you don't wanna be paying for that on a Sat morning! I'd want half a days money and I'm sure he'd be happy.

Can you buy brass nuts then can you? Would love a stock of those on the van

williams do them too [DLMURL="http://www.tradeonlyplumbing.co.uk/pipe-fittings/copper-pipe-fittings/brass-fittings/brass-miscellaneous/1-2flanged-brass-backnut.html"]1/2" Flanged Brass Backnut - Brass Miscellaneous - Brass Fittings - Copper Pipe & Fittings - Pipe & Fittings | Trade Only Plumbing & Heating Supplies[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no mates rates! This is why I dont work for family or friends or try not to at least :)

Do you price all your jobs through the forum lol!? I guess you have a basic hourly rate, If not use rays average plumbers prices survey & go from there...

There's no mates rates! This is why I dont work for family or friends or try not to at least :)

Do you price all your jobs through the forum lol!? I guess you have a basic hourly rate, If not use rays average plumbers prices survey & go from there...

I sub to a firm for full time work so have little experience of pricing jobs myself, i am not going to ask my boss what prices are for jobs (and he has made it clear he doesn't like me to know - but that's another story). So yes the majority of private work i do try and price through the forum. I don't have enough time/regular work to be consistent with my pricing. Once I get a few prices from members on here I then go for something in the middle as that way i can be confident the customer wont feel ripped off and I can be confident im not working for peanuts.

It will be easier for me to price work when i can go it alone full time as that way i will know what i need to earn to function as a business and contribute to bills etc. I have discussed on here before about minimum charge for a job so the least i will charge no matter how small a job is usually £45.00.

My minimum rate is a minimum of the first hour. Of which I am unspeakably loathed to spend more than half an hour earning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to how much to fit a basin on a vanity unit? (for a work mate) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, A plumber did some work for me and has done so in the past as well and has been great which is why I hire him. Anyway the last job he did he overcharged me, caused a little damage in my kitchen where he was working and after many requests has not provided me with a receipt ( 7...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
Hi We are a commercial premises Have been using the same plumber for years and very happy with his work but recently came to light he has a domestic ticket. When questioned he said it was ok as all the boilers he works on are under 70kw? He also says he does not touch the commercial catering...
Replies
Views
We had the bathrooms replaced when we moved in 2 years ago. This involved 2x bathrooms and 1x WC. Within the first few weeks, we noticed leaking from the en-suite down into the reception room and the fitter promptly came and repaired it, it was something to do with the area under the sink. We...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock