Search the forum,

Discuss How long before a PRV goes if the filler loop taps are left open? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

On a combi boiler, if the taps on the filler loop are left open will the PRV fail very soon? Does it depend on how often the hot water or heating is used?

The PRV on my tenant's boiler has failed. It happened shortly after the heating was turned on for the first time since the summer. The plumber says it needs a new PRV and was caused because the taps on the filler loop are open. The tenant's say they have not touched the taps. The last time I know for sure when the taps would have been used was about 3 months ago when a new timer had to be fitted.

If the filler loop taps are left open, would it fail much sooner than 3 months, or was it only when the heating started that the open taps caused the pressure problem?

The PRV (Pressure Relief Valve) is designed to let water out of the boiler and heating system if the water pressure in the system exceeds a pre-determined value, nearly always 3 bar on a gas boiler.

When they fail, it normally means that the valve does not shut when the pressure is reduced below the preset value, and usually happens because the valve's seat has deposits of limescale , magnetite or similar on it.

Leaving the filling loop open and connected will fill the system to the pressure of the mains supply. If this is more than 3 bar, then the PRV will operate and dump water to outside until the pressure drops below 3 bar.

If, as you surmise, the loop has been left with both taps open, the PRV will have operated at all times when the mains pressure was greater than 3 bar, and in theory the pressure relief could have been discharging water for 3 months. If it has failed it will be at some point during that period, but no-one can say with any certainty when. Putting on the heating would tend to increase the pressure, and if the mains pressure were insufficient to operate the PRV, then putting on the heating could have added that extra bit of pressure to make it discharge.

It is unlikely that changing the timer would have required the filling loop valves to be operated.

While changing the PRV I would advise changing the valve at each end of the filling loop to screwdriver or allen key operated ones (of good quality) and consider paint marking them when the pressure has been set so that you can tell if they have been operated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How long before a PRV goes if the filler loop taps are left open? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock