Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please!

those rubber smothing off shapeing silicone tools are pretty fool proof

can get industrial wipes for about £4, had mine for ages now

If you cut the nozzle at about 45 degrees with a little practice you dont really need to smooth it off much but those industrial wipes really are the business.

Just put a length of masking tape top and bottom of the joint, apply the silicone, smooth it off with a wipe wrapped round the end of your finger and then remove the masking tape. Perfect neat joints every time.

Yeh used to do that until i got fed up of applying the masking tape. When it gets to the point of sealing everything up i've usually had enough of bathrooms and swear i'll never do another.................... til one comes along.

I use the 3 piece smoothing tools available from Plumbfix....quick,easy and effortless.....and a spot on finish!!!!

when diagnosing faults but dont have the parts and need to book a re-call dont tell the custard the exact problem or you end up with some have a go hero saying he can fix it for cheaper or they try to order the part them selves off the net, remember they are paying for your knowledge its not free :)

Thought I'd read the whole thread before posting my tip just to make sure no-one else had posted it and found GQuigley67's question...

anyone any tips for filing chrome for soldered joints ?? takes to long using the old jeremy kyle

now before you all shout 'Shorty you don't know diddly-squat' I suggest you try this in your garage, I didn't believe it myself when I was told some 15 years ago, then we did it and tested to 10 bar and it absolutely works!!!

YOU DO NOT NEED TO FILE THE CHROME OFF of chromed copper pipe before soldering IF you use ACTIVE flux i.e. Laco or Everflux (passive or traditional yorkshire flux won't work)

Now here's the theory. Chromium is very porous, when it's used on steel (ferous) for a decorative finish it has to be plated over nickel (not porous and non ferous) otherwise it would give no protection to the steel and it would rust quick-smart. When copper (non-ferrous) is plated with chrome no nickel is used and as just said the chrome is porous so your solder goes straight through it.

Note; This will not work on stainless steel

When using a spanner in an awkward area put some string/cord through hole in spanner and tie off to something. If you drop it you just pull it out with the string/cord!!

Interesting shorticus, I'll try that although I have to say I have a bench grinder and it makes short work of grinding the chrome off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock