Discuss Help! Combi boiler (quality?) flow rate and power shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cronshd

Hi

Just been down to the bungalow where the plumber is first fixing piping etc for the bathroom.

I have 2 questions:

1. The builder has got us an Ideal Boiler. Is this any good? I looked at Which? and it was down at 46% in rating (or similar) - I need to check the exact model. How are these boilers regarded? I don't want something that is naff and difficult to maintain.

2. The flow rate - is apparently 14.5l per min. Is this going to be sufficient for power shower experience with rainforest shower head (of medium size)?

I am a bit concerned that the shower is just going to be a bit on the weak side.

Any thoughts on these 2 points - much appreciated.

Thanks, D

you will find that some people swear by ideals but I think that I can honestly say that the majority of the guys on here think that they are to unreliable.

As regards a power shower on a combi, not heard that one before, as the combi works on mains pressure therefor all you need is a decent thermostatic shower valve. In fact as far as I am aware you definately wouldnt combine a power shower with a combi, I may be wrong but I am sure someone will tell me if I am

Mind you if you really want a decent shower the last thing I would be installing is a combi or a power shower I would go with an unvented cylinder.

Just remebered I have fitted 2 ideals in January, ( customers choice ) cos they was cheap the first one has now developed an explosive ignition when the heating kicks in and I am sorting that one out on saturday, they got them as they was cheap,
I am not a fan of ideals by the way

Last edited:
As above, Ideals are not for me. Plus, remember that regardless of what the boiler can produce, it will still depend on the pressure of the incoming mains.

If you wanted a high spec power shower, a combi is probably not the way to go. If you are in the shower and someone else turns on the kitchen tap, or flushes the toilet, depending on the mixer, you will notice a drop in the flow.

All of these factors should have been taken into consideration prior to deciding which boiler to go for.

Hmmm.......the boiler is the Ideal + and it has a 5 year parts + labour guarantee.....so we'll see on that I guess.

However, I am concerned about the shower.........and will be very p***** off if this turns out to be sub-standard. When I say 'power' shower - maybe it is terminology - but I mean a 'powerful' shower. Idea is to have a rainforest overhead with a separate diverter - with a good flow rate. Is this too much to ask? The incoming flow rate is (as per previous Megaflo thread) at 22l/min.

Previously we had shower pump - and the flow was fine - but it was noisy. I am just wondering if we have gone down the wrong route here and should have stayed with a similar system and just upgraded the pump (and possibly boiler).

you need to check flowrate needed by your shower against the flow rate of your incoming main

you need to check flowrate needed by your shower against the flow rate of your incoming main

Hi yes - ok - so take for example a Grohe overhead shower 180mm..... it quotes a flow rate of 18l per min - so if my Combi boiler is 14l per min - what does that imply with regard to the shower experience??

It means the shower won't be as good as it should be.And boiler waranties aren't always as good a deal as they seem.If you get ideal out in 12 months,they'll spend the first 10 minutes trying to find an excuse to walk away.They give the waranty as a selling point,but don't want to honour it,so any excuse they can find,and they cancel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help! Combi boiler (quality?) flow rate and power shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock