Search the forum,

Discuss H/w expansion vessel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wil

I need advice but I'm not a plumber, I'm a joiner.We have a house in Portugal and last year had c/h installedwith new 200litre h/w cylinder. The h/w system is non vented and the cylinder is also heated by a solar panel. A month ago the 7 bar pressure relief valve started to leak when the guage on the cylinder read 55 c.I got the plumber to come back( after a while) and he simply adjusted the incoming pressure control valve. Its still leaking and i cant contact him, ive checked the expansion tank( potable water type) and its reading zero, i also pressed the shrader valve and no water came out so I'm thinking somehow its lost pressure. I have a basic knowledge of plumbing so I'm going to attempt to reflate the vessel myself or if its jiggered, replace it.on the incoming c/w supply there is a pressure control valve with a blank fitted for a guage. I have the guage and there are isolation valves either side so if i fit the guage and get the incoming pressure do i inflate the vessel to equal that pressure and why would this vessel lose its pressure or fail so quickly? In the summer here when it was 40c outside the water temp in the cylinder was often nearing 80c and we had no problems. Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated

Hello Wil. Sorry you can't really get advice on touching unvented cylinders on this forum as it is illegal to install or service them in UK without a G3 qualification. The unvented units are potentially dangerous if not installed or serviced correctly, so much the same as gas work, no advice involving working on the appliances can be offered on open forums.
The plumbing laws in Portugal might be different.
The unit might have a 25 year guarantee and a minimum of 1 year on parts, so if I were you I would get a local plumber to fix it for you.

Last edited:
Good advice. Potential bombs if done wrong. Get a qualified engineer

Many thanks, i didnt realise you had to be qualified in the uk, from what you say i will leave alone and look for another plumber, although that wont be easy here, thanks again

Yeah unfortunately they work on mains pressure so I'm sure you can imagine the damage potential

Reluctance to give detail of recharging expansion vessel is understandable given risk. A video on youtube, purporting to show correct method, fails to clarify an important step. Water cannot be compressed. As this video has had over 1/4 million views, there must be many followers who think, incorrectly, their vessel has correct pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to H/w expansion vessel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock