Discuss Going gas safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tommy1712

Hi My new year resolution is to get my gas safe :)
i retrained after many unhappy years and done a c&g level 2 and love my work now, love being self employed love the respect from customers and love the job satisfaction
I am in 2 minds to just give the training center my money for my gas course like in the next few days or should I squeeze in the c&g level 3 first?
i currently don't touch electrics at all but I do have a good understanding of them, I assume the gas safe course will not cover the valves, stats and programmers side of it but will the level 3.
Will I need a full part p to be able to install these and fit the boiler electrics as £2200 and a 20 day course seems a tad excessive just to do this I am not wanting to rewire a house lol
i like what I am doing at the moment but I just want to make the next step, is there anything i am missing, I guess my insurance will have to be changed
any advice welcomed

Some level 3 courses cover gas training as well as controls so I would recommend going that way.

I'll be honest and say go for the level 3 first, an extra year training and understanding of systems would be beneficial for doing your gas stuff.
Have you got an engineer lined up to shadow during the gas training?
It's not a 6 weeks and you're gas safe course is it?

I have got a couple local engineers that have said they will help with my portfolio but we will have to see when the time comes as I will be taking jobs from then in the end. If not the training center have there own engineers to go out with at a price of cause.
Will I need to get a part p? I am getting mixed answers

I have got a couple local engineers that have said they will help with my portfolio but we will have to see when the time comes as I will be taking jobs from then in the end. If not the training center have there own engineers to go out with at a price of cause.
Will I need to get a part p? I am getting mixed answers

i would nt bother doing the level 3 just try and get some experience with a gas safe engineer than got to an acs centre do 4 days training bingo job done. i paid 1250 for ccn1 ckr1 cen1 and 4 day s training.you do have to join gas safe after which know one tells you and thats a cool 400 quid.it s all just one big rip off.but if you want to do it legally thats what you have got to do

How many years have you been in the industry?
I'd recommend a minimum of 5 before becoming GSR... TBH

10000% do your level 3 first and get your plumbing to tip top level then move onto your gas, that's how most apprenticeships are done,
im not a believer in fastback courses as the knowledge learned doesn't come close but I take my hat off to those like yourself who try to better yourselves by doing them , so good luck, and regarding part p , there's not much gas engineers who have this , just the odd few,

i would nt bother doing the level 3 just try and get some experience with a gas safe engineer than got to an acs centre do 4 days training bingo job done. i paid 1250 for ccn1 ckr1 cen1 and 4 day s training.you do have to join gas safe after which know one tells you and thats a cool 400 quid.it s all just one big rip off.but if you want to do it legally thats what you have got to do

So you are gas safe registered?

Tommy, i would be listening to the responders with the yellow badge at the side of their names. As for part p, just take it one step at a time.

Good luck.

Yep that echos how I did it. Nvq3 sees like a lot of is in ccn1 anyway. If you are competent enough you should be ok to go straight into Acs. Get with a time served engineer, whom is close to retirement to get the most out of it. I was lucky that I learnt it off the old man.

Ok the gas is the gas but the level 3 will give you a greater insight to heating systems design and specification, like previously mentioned best to walk before running, but that's just my humble opinion,

Hi guys, I done my plumbing lvl3 last year that covered some gas, went back this year for the C&G gas utillisation course, with 20 exams to do just done the legislation exam. then we have combustion unsafe sits ventilation,Tightness Testing & pipework, Flues,cpa1 health & safety & electrics, Meters lpg, & then Isa 1 gas safety & Isa 12 lpg, now i know why you lads brick it when it comes ACS exam comes around. :))

Thanks for the advice, nvq is unfortunately impossible for me as I am self employed and WILL ONLY EVER be self employed as a plumber/tiler for me it's also a lifestyle choice as I spent years as a sales consultant and s good one at that but it's just not me. I did this to better my life and I have and I love my work, agreed I am not as experienced as some this is true. I have a very good gs engineer on the end of the phone if I ever need him (what I haven't yet) if I have a problem or something tricky just take my time and think logically. I get enough work doing general plumbing and tiling but I would like a bit of the cream

From the way I understand it you can just walk in off the street and do a gas safe course (of cause u will not be able to even bend a pipe so u will never pass section 1)
from what I understood u don't need any qualifications.
The reason for wanting level 3 is I am serious about my job my career and my company, it's not a get rich scheme to me.
I am proud to call myself a plumber and I do a good job

I'm not sure about coming off the street straight into course, I know you need to employed serving your time or working alongside a competent gas engineer to get into the technical colleges near me, my sparky mate wanted to do gas and application was refused because of this reason,

Good to see you keen mate and good luck with it, there are loads of guys ( not meaning you ) in similar circumstances as u which try the gas as a get rich quick scheme and it's the customers who get the bad deal, but if your happy at work then that's half the battle and your customers will get a good tradesman,

The only part where u need to work along side a qualified engineer is to do section 2 that's the portfolio.
It's not a get rich scheam to me god there's much easyer ways lol yes I do wanna earn as much as I possibly can tho. But haveing said that when I get gs I wil still happily tile a bathroom or put a kitchen in neither of which I am quified in arrrrrrrr lol but I have not had one complaint and I do a above average job on it and u don't need to be qualified. If someone askes me are you a quified tiler straight answer NO I am a plumber that can tile and I never had any one say no to me doing the job.

some of the worst plumbing has been form a plumber who was gas safe and the work was scum and i made good for the customer!

some of the worst plumbing has been form a plumber who was gas safe and the work was scum and i made good for the customer!

I Understand what your saying but you need to remember Gas Safe don't test you for soldering skills or pipe bending accuracy, it's to prove you can work safely within the parameters they and the manufacturers provide!

I know plenty of GS guys who don't even own a bender because all they do is service and breakdowns, I'm not justifying the bad workmanship you have seen I'm just saying it doesn't prove your king d&@k at installs.

Exactly I am far from plumber of the year but I am competent and far from stupid!
The perpous of this thread was to find out about the electrical side of heating and if I should do level 3 first or not

Exactly I am far from plumber of the year but I am competent and far from stupid!
The perpous of this thread was to find out about the electrical side of heating and if I should do level 3 first or not

Tommy, have a gander through the level 3 book just to see what you think.

If it's of interest, i.e. there's material in it that you'd like to chase up, then do the level 3.
It sounds as if you wish to be very progressive in following your vocation, so follow your heart.

As for part P. From what I've read on the forum, I think it's best to have eyes and ears open, with someone with plenty of install Part P experience.
Learn as much from them as you can, so you have confidence prior to pushing ahead with your Part P.

I purchased this for the nipper on ebay. He's yet to see it, as I do not wish him to disappear up his own ar5e in fear.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17th-EDIT...ting_Software_Software_SR&hash=item2324f98990

Last edited:
I have just finished my NVQ 3 in Heating and ventilation. The new course now includes gas. Cenwat CCn1 etc. As was said the first year is design and controls etc of systems and the second year was gas.

TBH I wasn't really interested in the Gas side but it goes hand in hand now. With regards to your OP yes the level 3 is worth doing for the extra knowledge. There is an electrical qual as well as unvented and water regs which is handy to have.

We have gas engineers who 'walked into training centres' and cannot even grasp basic plumbing or heating tasks!!

Taking everything on board and it's all great fully received I think I am gunna do gs first then level 3. I am going to pop to the training centre and get as much info about gs if I think I will struggle (that I won't ) then I'll do 3 first.
I am not stupid and far from a mug do I no i won't stuggle with it. If I ain't cofident then I dont take the job on

Sounds like you have already made you decision, good luck and don't forget to pop back when your GS and join the GS only part of the forum.

Hi guys, I done my plumbing lvl3 last year that covered some gas, went back this year for the C&G gas utillisation course, with 20 exams to do just done the legislation exam. then we have combustion unsafe sits ventilation,Tightness Testing & pipework, Flues,cpa1 health & safety & electrics, Meters lpg, & then Isa 1 gas safety & Isa 12 lpg, now i know why you lads brick it when it comes ACS exam comes around. :))

where did you do your courses at ? thanks

Started as btsc but they took the **** so finished at able skills, gunna do gs and 3 there. Top place

So you are gas safe registered?Tommy, i would be listening to the responders with the yellow badge at the side of their names. As for part p, just take it one step at a time.Good luck.
No im not gsr at the mo will be next month though

How many years have you been in the industry?
I'd recommend a minimum of 5 before becoming GSR... TBH

y would you recommend 5 years? What is your thoughts behind the number 5?
Surley if u r unsafe and a tool then you won't pass the course and assesments?

I thought you needed to do nvq 3, unvented , water regs , part L Before sitting ACS ?

Thats what i did

I would definately do level 3 first but i suppose depends what training center you go to some just give the qualification away it seems ( I.e walk you through the assessments holding your hand )

And doing level 3 you learn alot more about heating systems ( Again depends on tutors)

Nope need nothing now days. I realy want to do it and I am capable and safe enough, far from stupid and will not take on anything I don't think I can do, my pipe work is goodi take pride in tidy pipes. I want to get any many qualifications as I can, would like a nvq but not gunna happen as I will not work for anyone else, I will suffer 200hours for my portfolio

With out a doubt Imy insurance currently does not cover gas I made it clear I did not want gas cover as I do t touch it so that will need doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Going gas safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I am looking for an honest opinion please, with my current employment I get a lot of time off, I am considering completing a gas safe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas...
Replies
Views
A
Hi guys I finished my gas course in September can anyone help me i need to do 2 install and services. Am living i ln leeds west yorkshire I do...
Replies
Views
Ahmad marian
A
Hi, need your honest views if you would be so kind. I’m 48 and work for the NHS (office based) and earn 44k a year. Ive been do fustrated and fed...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock