Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler service/ gas safe course in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,
I am looking for an honest opinion please, with my current employment I get a lot of time off, I am considering completing a gas safe course with the view to use my spare time to potter about doing boiler services and that only, am I naive to think it’s that simple?
Thanks

I think it depends n how much time you have off. Unfortunately you are looking to pursue a completely different profession and it takes a lot of time to obviously work on these skills, the coarse will only take you so far, teaching you the regulations and how to carry out gas work safely but it will not go into the specifics of boiler diagnosis and servicing requirements.

Each boiler will probably have its own specification for servicing and sometimes things don't always go to plan so you need to be prepared to resolve any issues that you may come across when working on it. These are all things that you can learn but having the added pressure of knowing that that you have other job commitments might be difficult. I know someone that went into it later in life and has become a very good gas engineer but it took him working long hours alongside someone to gain the necessary experience. If you are willing to put in the time then you could probably do it, you just need to dig deep and sometimes stay late to get the experience.

If you decide to proceed on a Gas Safe Course, be sure that you have a suitable Gas Safe Engineer as a mentor to ensure you can complete the portfolio aspect of the course. In reality, that mentor would also be able to advise you if what you are considering is viable.

To run even a very small business centred solely on servicing gas fired boilers would require a large Customer base to feed you with sufficient work to cover your training and set up costs. The money (if we exclude boiler and full system installations) is generally in heating system / boiler repairs, not servicing.

If you would be happy as a “shove in the analyser, squirt the air duster around and go” type service engineer- then no problem.
If you wish to do it properly you will definitely need an experienced mentor and a bit more patience.
Good luck with it, I like people with initiative.

Reply to Boiler service/ gas safe course in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock