Discuss Going gas safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tommy1712

Hi My new year resolution is to get my gas safe :)
i retrained after many unhappy years and done a c&g level 2 and love my work now, love being self employed love the respect from customers and love the job satisfaction
I am in 2 minds to just give the training center my money for my gas course like in the next few days or should I squeeze in the c&g level 3 first?
i currently don't touch electrics at all but I do have a good understanding of them, I assume the gas safe course will not cover the valves, stats and programmers side of it but will the level 3.
Will I need a full part p to be able to install these and fit the boiler electrics as £2200 and a 20 day course seems a tad excessive just to do this I am not wanting to rewire a house lol
i like what I am doing at the moment but I just want to make the next step, is there anything i am missing, I guess my insurance will have to be changed
any advice welcomed

The only part where u need to work along side a qualified engineer is to do section 2 that's the portfolio.
It's not a get rich scheam to me god there's much easyer ways lol yes I do wanna earn as much as I possibly can tho. But haveing said that when I get gs I wil still happily tile a bathroom or put a kitchen in neither of which I am quified in arrrrrrrr lol but I have not had one complaint and I do a above average job on it and u don't need to be qualified. If someone askes me are you a quified tiler straight answer NO I am a plumber that can tile and I never had any one say no to me doing the job.

some of the worst plumbing has been form a plumber who was gas safe and the work was scum and i made good for the customer!

some of the worst plumbing has been form a plumber who was gas safe and the work was scum and i made good for the customer!

I Understand what your saying but you need to remember Gas Safe don't test you for soldering skills or pipe bending accuracy, it's to prove you can work safely within the parameters they and the manufacturers provide!

I know plenty of GS guys who don't even own a bender because all they do is service and breakdowns, I'm not justifying the bad workmanship you have seen I'm just saying it doesn't prove your king d&@k at installs.

Exactly I am far from plumber of the year but I am competent and far from stupid!
The perpous of this thread was to find out about the electrical side of heating and if I should do level 3 first or not

Exactly I am far from plumber of the year but I am competent and far from stupid!
The perpous of this thread was to find out about the electrical side of heating and if I should do level 3 first or not

Tommy, have a gander through the level 3 book just to see what you think.

If it's of interest, i.e. there's material in it that you'd like to chase up, then do the level 3.
It sounds as if you wish to be very progressive in following your vocation, so follow your heart.

As for part P. From what I've read on the forum, I think it's best to have eyes and ears open, with someone with plenty of install Part P experience.
Learn as much from them as you can, so you have confidence prior to pushing ahead with your Part P.

I purchased this for the nipper on ebay. He's yet to see it, as I do not wish him to disappear up his own ar5e in fear.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17th-EDIT...ting_Software_Software_SR&hash=item2324f98990

Last edited:
I have just finished my NVQ 3 in Heating and ventilation. The new course now includes gas. Cenwat CCn1 etc. As was said the first year is design and controls etc of systems and the second year was gas.

TBH I wasn't really interested in the Gas side but it goes hand in hand now. With regards to your OP yes the level 3 is worth doing for the extra knowledge. There is an electrical qual as well as unvented and water regs which is handy to have.

We have gas engineers who 'walked into training centres' and cannot even grasp basic plumbing or heating tasks!!

Taking everything on board and it's all great fully received I think I am gunna do gs first then level 3. I am going to pop to the training centre and get as much info about gs if I think I will struggle (that I won't ) then I'll do 3 first.
I am not stupid and far from a mug do I no i won't stuggle with it. If I ain't cofident then I dont take the job on

Sounds like you have already made you decision, good luck and don't forget to pop back when your GS and join the GS only part of the forum.

Hi guys, I done my plumbing lvl3 last year that covered some gas, went back this year for the C&G gas utillisation course, with 20 exams to do just done the legislation exam. then we have combustion unsafe sits ventilation,Tightness Testing & pipework, Flues,cpa1 health & safety & electrics, Meters lpg, & then Isa 1 gas safety & Isa 12 lpg, now i know why you lads brick it when it comes ACS exam comes around. :))

where did you do your courses at ? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Going gas safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back