Search the forum,

Discuss Glow Worm Betacom 30c lock out, no pressure, drops again when I open taps, frozen? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

0x01

Hi everyone,

A few days ago my Betacom 30c stopped working, the red lock out light is on, and the pressure gauge shows 0. When I open the two taps on either end of the silver flexi cable the pressure goes back up, but when I close them at 1.5 bar the pressure just slowly drops back down to zero. All the water seems to be flowing out of the copper pipe, which I believe is the pressure release pipe?

I've read this could be due to a frozen condensate pipe, it has been very cold here the last few days. Unfortunately it comes out of my house 8 feet up in the air so I don't fancy trying to pour hot water on it, I'm going round to a friends to get a hairdryer in a few hours to give that a shot. The condensate is the white plastic pipe, correct?

Does it sound like this is the problem? If/after I thaw it out, what's the routine, do I switch the boiler off for 30 seconds then back on? When do I open those taps to bring the pressure back up? Do I do that when the boiler is off or on?

Or is something else broken causing the pressure to drop?

Many thanks!

Re: Glow Worm Betacom 30c lock out, no pressure, drops again when I open taps, frozen

I would suggest getting a gas engineer out. It souds like the safety valve may be knackered.

Re: Glow Worm Betacom 30c lock out, no pressure, drops again when I open taps, frozen

Thanks for the reply, if it was just a frozen condensate pipe would I be having the losing pressure issue?

I wouldn't think a frozen condensate would result in pressure loss. It would be more likely a safety valve or burst. The leak may not be as significant. If you set the system to 1.5bar then go round the rooms and remove any air from the rads and keep the pressure topped to 1,5. it will tell you how significant the loss is. A small pipe pipe is attached to the safety valve and likely goes out through the wall check to make sure the water is not escaping from it. It could still be a burst pipe.

The pressure drops from 1.5 bar to 0 in literally about 30 seconds, and lots of water starts coming out of the small copper pipe outside the house, right where the boiler is.

safety valve loosing.Is like mjor minus temp where you are.

prv shot you need a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Glow Worm Betacom 30c lock out, no pressure, drops again when I open taps, frozen? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with venting through the external wall and I'm reluctant to go with an electric boiler instead (because of the consumption cost)). It's a sealed system. The...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old people. Out here competence and integrity is harder to come by in a worker, in fact it's hard to find workers at all where we are in the countryside...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have a boiler which is approx ten years old. A few months ago we had the expansion vessel replaced by a BG plan but noticed that there was a slight pressure drop since they fitted it. The copper pipe outside had an odd drip here and there. On top of that I had to have a valve on one of the...
Replies
Views
I have a customers trianco burner that starts from cold ok for a few minutes (say 3minutes) then locks out then will not stay on. Boiler had not been serviced in a long time and oil filters were bunged up as was the nozzle. I decided to service it with hopes it was simple starving of fuel from...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock