Discuss Gloves? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi, I was looking through some pictures earlier on the site and saw a few of you guys wearing gloves. Am wondering, what do you wear them for? General plumbing work? Or drilling.

I know my hands get battered at the end of the day with cuts from the burrs on pipes, then flux going in these cuts and bashing hands against walls in tight spaces. So, do you wear gloves just for normal plumbing?

If so, which ones do you recommend?

I really do need to start protecting my hands

So really appreciate your advice guys

I use a pair of old Japspeed mechaincs gloves that I got free when I was building my last car... They're stretch fabric on the back with soft leather palms and have been going strong for a couple of years without falling to bits.
Easy to work in and save my hands from all manner of cuts, scrapes and burns... When I remember to wear them!

best gloves for installation work comes here from HSS - Blackrock and they very in colour white/grey

were gloves on install all the time ,latex for in use toilets and plumbing

Good point, forgot about Latex or Nitrile for doing toilets, dirty stuff or Oil... an absolute godsend!

I use similar to dancinplumba for general work or nitrile if it's really messy. If I don't my hands crack up within a couple of days.

Every time I wear gloves I nail my hand to the roof. I'd also be happy for a recommendation for gloves, especially ones that I don't have to take off for intricate work and heat resistant. My hands just now look like a map of the Andes (not handies) and I need to take more care of them.

I never wear them but know I really should. Same with eye protection and ear protection.

Gloves are for wimp's ,a bit of barrier cream over may remaining six fingers and one and a half thumbs does the job !!

:biker:

talking about gloves, im trying to find a pair that i see all plumbers where, i think theyre the red ones, theyre thin and can do fiddly work like get into boilers etc, anyone know where i can get a pair?, thanks.

I couldn't work without gloves now. I'm amazed i spent about 4 years not wearing them as it makes such a difference. No more scrubbing my hands for 10 minutes after work and picking wire wool out of my hands! The problem with a lot of gloves though is that people buy a pair but don't get the correct ones or get the wrong size so they never persevere with them. If you get the right pair that fight tightly you'll never look back. I get size 7 which are a tight fight so you forget your even wearing them.

ive always had to wear gloves when i worked on sites, aswell as safety glasses 24/7 no matter what you do, as soon as you set foot on site if you dont have your usual PPE and glasses and gloves on, you get a "yellow card" then if you get a red your off site for a while, load of pish if you asked me.

but now that I'm doing installs in houses i find that i cut myself quite alot(and burn), working in tight spaces, working at a pace trying to get things done so your not taking the time to be careful, i prefer to wear gloves again, the ones i have are thin and easy to work with, they cost Ā£1 a pair from bills toolstore, they dont last very long but at that price i don't mind, I have one pair for ripping out and one pair for installing(saves me working in soggy wet gloves all day)

talking about gloves, im trying to find a pair that i see all plumbers where, i think theyre the red ones, theyre thin and can do fiddly work like get into boilers etc, anyone know where i can get a pair?, thanks.
check out post #2 they are ot red but they are thin

wow, thanks for all the replies guys. I am going to order meself a few packs of those. No more battered dried hands!!! Hopefully, i will bve able to keep all my fingers by the time i retire. Not like some of you guys it seems. He he

i wear the tornado gloves (as below link) on and off sometimes as i find it difficult to pick my nose when wering them.

I learned years ago to wear ppe.

My own stupid fault, but I've got a little shard of steel embedded in my left eye from an exploding drill bit when using an unguarded pillar drill (means I can't ever have a CAT scan anywhere near my head - probably a good job - they might find out I've got no brain :) ).

I try to wear gloves as often as possible - ones to those in the ebay link above (knitted with pvc palms) and nitrile disposables or heavy gauntlets for messy stuff. I always wear safety glasses when drilling or grinding (good quality UVEX ones - worth the little extra and ear defenders / gloves when hammer drilling / grinding. Not so bad when you get into the habit and it's pretty hard to do any job if you're blind or missing a finger...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a little shard of steel embedded in my left eye from an exploding drill bit when using an unguarded pillar drill (means I can't ever have a CAT scan anywhere near my head
i can just imagine your head unscrewing if you did.lol/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gloves? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock