Discuss Getting Started. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikgee

Hi all,

I have almost finished my 22 years service in the Army and am planning to become Gas Safe Registered. I have some experience in the trade as two of my brothers and my dad are Gas fitter/Plumbers, I have Completed a 3 week Guild of Gas Fitters Operatives, Cat 3 Theory Course with T-Gas in Thirsk (North Yorkshire), but I am struggling to find a company to take me on to do my portfolio.

I could go down to Leicester and complete my portfolio with my family but would rather do it in the area I plan on settling, (Richmond/Darlington) So I am thinking of doing a course with MET UK to get qualified, Their courses appear to be on the ball and they assure me of work placement to complete my portfolio in my area, which to me is worth the 5+k fee alone. This leads me to my question.

Has anybody on the Forum done a Gas course with this company and how did they find it?

Thanks for any help & advice on this.

Mick

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike Ask them if they will take payment for the training once they have found you a placement. If not train with your family. Good Luck

the sticking point is the placement
with a good one you can achieve your goal without a good one your screwed
its getting tougher to find placements due to the downturn in the industry engineers dont want another competitor springing up in their area
its not just a case of doing the course and going out working
start up costs are high
course 6k??
van/insurance tax
public liability ins
gas safe registration
advertising
tools
you are looking at initial costs of probably in the region of 15k and no customer client base
employers wont want a fresh out of school newbie with no experience

the sticking point is the placement
with a good one you can achieve your goal without a good one your screwed
its getting tougher to find placements due to the downturn in the industry engineers dont want another competitor springing up in their area
its not just a case of doing the course and going out working
start up costs are high
course 6k??
van/insurance tax
public liability ins
gas safe registration
advertising
tools
you are looking at initial costs of probably in the region of 15k and no customer client base
employers wont want a fresh out of school newbie with no experience

You missed one off of your list my friend, Positive Attitude;)

Thanks for you comments but would love to here from some one who has done a Gas course with MET UK and I will bare that in mind about payment, Thanks.

"You missed one off of your list my friend, Positive Attitude;)"

I dont think he means to be negative, we just see a lot of peeps on here who think they can set up as a gas engineer after doing a 5 week course for several grand with some company offering the world.

I hope you have luck in gaining a placement with someone who can help you with your portfolio. I can imagine it is difficult as companies seem to be laying off still at the moment and work is slow for most folks.

hi mate be carefull alot of companys say they will get you placement but not all do with your family in the trade i think just doing the course and using them to get portfoilio together is a good idea took my mate 1 1/2 years to do his

You missed one off of your list my friend, Positive Attitude;)

Thanks for you comments but would love to here from some one who has done a Gas course with MET UK and I will bare that in mind about payment, Thanks.

that wasnt negativity that was reality everything i listed there you will need and more
course 6000
van 3000
tools min 1500
gas safe reg 428
liability ins 400
van ins 400
advertising 500 upwards
no wages for 6 months while on your course and limited earning potential once qualified
thats assuming you get a good placement as i believe the north is suffering more than the south as usual
too many people are under the illusion that passing acs is the road to riches it will take years to be able to earn a living

Thanks again for your comments and all advice is welcome, I know its not an easy road I choose, but its better than not choosing one at all. I am under no illusions and am fortunate enough to have the money put by to cover all those costs, infact course is already done and paid for, van I have, tools I have been buying every month for a few years now so I am on my way.

I also got some good news today as a company I contacted has called me back and asked me to go in on Thursday:D Heres hoping, I will let you know how I get on.

positive attitude isnt much good on a friday evening when youve just fried a customers pcb. Like all exforces people, youll be cash rich at present, but it will soon disappear. With family in the trade you would be best advised to link up with them for 12-18 months, get the portfoilis and experience without making a fool of yourself. You need experience and back up to be good at gas work, which also needs decent hands on plumbing experience, why pay a company to get it when 9 out of 10 times they arent good at providing what they promise. My background ex RN, been there done it the hard way and have seen several ex army trying to do it your way and failing miserably over the last 12 months, even with a positive attitude.

positive attitude isnt much good on a friday evening when youve just fried a customers pcb. Like all exforces people, youll be cash rich at present, but it will soon disappear. With family in the trade you would be best advised to link up with them for 12-18 months, get the portfoilis and experience without making a fool of yourself. You need experience and back up to be good at gas work, which also needs decent hands on plumbing experience, why pay a company to get it when 9 out of 10 times they arent good at providing what they promise. My background ex RN, been there done it the hard way and have seen several ex army trying to do it your way and failing miserably over the last 12 months, even with a positive attitude.

So did you have experience when you started out?? We all need to start somewhere fella. I suppose i could always sit on my bottom and do nothing, sign on and let the tax payer pay my way:rolleyes:

mikgee, all of the above is good advice. however if you can afford the risk - go for it. remember you will spend the rest of your life learning the trade and gaining experience. yes everybody starts somewhere and you seem to have found your starting point.
two things. firstly good luck !!
secondly. no bad language on site !!

mikgee, all of the above is good advice. however if you can afford the risk - go for it. remember you will spend the rest of your life learning the trade and gaining experience. yes everybody starts somewhere and you seem to have found your starting point.
two things. firstly good luck !!
secondly. no bad language on site !!

Thanks and apologies:eek:.

So did you have experience when you started out?? We all need to start somewhere fella. I suppose i could always sit on my bottom and do nothing, sign on and let the tax payer pay my way:rolleyes:

Learn to read would be another bit of advice, I never said you were lazy, etc but just thought you would be better off using familiy connections as you say you have no experience and support and help is essential when you start. Ive seen people failing at the start as they take on to much and find some of the more basic jobs to hard and cannt see their way round things and all they really need is mentoring to solve the problems. As to your question, no experience at start, just the right attitude and listened to those who did know the trade, try it

Finally bin the squaddie bad mannered attitude, it doesnt work outside the army, youll lose more friends than youll make!

id b carefull, the courses are realy designed for experienced fitters not for newbies. the correct route for a nebie is the nv2 then nvq3 ingas route but that takes longer and people look for short cuts. there r always private training providers looking for loopholes to get you the certificate and them the money.
think on though, were will that leave you? out of pocket to alot of money and niave in the trade. im not saying dont do it but be very aware of the risks to your own progression, bank balance and then the possibility of messing up and making a dangerous mistake coz u lack experience

Learn to read would be another bit of advice, I never said you were lazy, etc but just thought you would be better off using familiy connections as you say you have no experience and support and help is essential when you start. Ive seen people failing at the start as they take on to much and find some of the more basic jobs to hard and cannt see their way round things and all they really need is mentoring to solve the problems. As to your question, no experience at start, just the right attitude and listened to those who did know the trade, try it

Finally bin the squaddie bad mannered attitude, it doesnt work outside the army, youll lose more friends than youll make!

Well it looks like we could both do with some reading lessons then as I actually said I DO have some experience. Like I said 3 of my family are in the trade, I have worked on and off with them in the trade since I could hold up a pot of flux for my dad. Also I never said you did say I was lazy, You made a reference to you doing it the hard way not the way I was doing it, how else am I meant to take that comment and finally at what point was I bad mannered? I used a swear word and appologised for it.

Look I did not join this site to fall out with people but I asked a specific question about MET UK, not one person has mentioned this company but I got back advise about the trade, good advise granted but people assumed I needed that advise.

ok so i missed a point as well, if youve got experience why are you needing to use one of these companies. The general opinion on forums is that these firms charge a lot and dont fufil the promises they make. If you want to know what they are like, ask them direct for names of satisfied customers that you can talk to, then you can make a subjective opinion. I personally wouldnt touch any of them with a barge pole, let alone give them ÂŁ5k or what ever they charge. If your investing large sums of money dont rely on forums talk to those who have recently finished a course. Obviously if the company doesnt oblige then you draw what ever conclusions you want. Is that a satisfactory answer corporal?

ok so i missed a point as well, if youve got experience why are you needing to use one of these companies. The general opinion on forums is that these firms charge a lot and dont fufil the promises they make. If you want to know what they are like, ask them direct for names of satisfied customers that you can talk to, then you can make a subjective opinion. I personally wouldnt touch any of them with a barge pole, let alone give them ÂŁ5k or what ever they charge. If your investing large sums of money dont rely on forums talk to those who have recently finished a course. Obviously if the company doesnt oblige then you draw what ever conclusions you want. Is that a satisfactory answer corporal?

Yes:D Thank you, can we be friends now? Sailor:D

Well you have me there:eek: Now I have to goto bed, I have an interview in the morning that could change my life. Goodnight.

Mick

polish your boots and have a good time then:) (dont salute when u walk in tho, no need to now):rolleyes:

Thanks chaps.

Basically I am not too sure, He said he could offer me a position to train with potential for employment at the end, but needed to work out his staffing and would write to me this week. So I think its a yes but will not be celebrating until I have it in writing.

does that mean he will start you but not pay you?

Yes exactly that, but thats fine by me, I get the training, experience and backing that I need to get started in the trade and hopefully a job at the end of it.

Yes exactly that, but thats fine by me, I get the training, experience and backing that I need to get started in the trade and hopefully a job at the end of it.

ok, im happy if it works for you. it is an insight into people wanting to get into the trasde though, the only work available is for free

GOT THE JOB..Well its not quite a job yet but its a chance to train along side a team of engineers to build up and complete my portfolio and if I am any good at the end a job is there.

Chuffed to bits.

Sorry for shouting:D

Fuzzy you have PM.

I just got the call I have been waiting for and I start in the morning. Chuffed to bits:D

Hi Mick, I am also leaving the Army after 22-24 years and thinking about becoming a Gas Engineer. I am thinking of doing my training with GAS TEC in Milton Keynes.

Regards,

Tony

Hi Tony,

The biggest obstacle I have found is getting with a firm to do your portfolio, I have been lucky but I had to work hard and pester to get a foot in the door. I have a few mates who have done the same as me and you, but have gone on to other things as they cant get there portfoilio done. My point being, secure a placement with someone before you spend any of your resettlement money;) Try and get in with a big firm aswell.

I hope you get one mate as I am loving it, learning a trade again is fantastic.

Good Luck.

Thanks for your positive reply, it is hard learning a new trade, but I believe that ex military are hard workers, diligent and well disciplined with good communication skills who work well under pressure. Sometimes it’s just getting the right break or lead. I hope the weather is good up your way this coming Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday as I’m up in Catterick Garrison/Richmond visiting in laws.

Tony

Mikgee

Can you give me an update and how good you feel MET to be. Im in the same boat as you and considering the same thing.

Andy

Hi there Andy,

I did not go with MET UK in the end, I got in with a company and I start my CCN1 assessments on Monday, Sorry I cant be more help for you and I hope it works out. Dont give up..

ATB

Mick.

hi tony,
ive just finished a course with gastec in july, done 12yrs in the army and did my resettlement with them. im glad i chose them as the training was first class and they guarentee you a work placement for your portfolio, the only coy i could find that would do that. im now fully qualified and now looking for work. just got the hurdle of being qualified but no yrs of experience. catch 22

good luck

For those that might be interested I completed my CCN1 assessments and should have my certificate within the next ten days for my Gase Safe Registration.. Now the learning really begins;)

Thanks for your reply. I am visiting them next Thursday to check out the training facilities and confirm the cost. Good luck with the look for work.

Tony H

For those that might be interested I completed my CCN1 assessments and should have my certificate within the next ten days for my Gase Safe Registration.. Now the learning really begins;)

Well done, I am really chuffed for you, good luck for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Getting Started. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock