Discuss Gas volume in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

barronbathrooms

I have won the contract for the installation of 3 central heating systems in a doctors surgery which spans across 3 separate buildings. All 3 boilers are to be fed from a u16 meter I have done all my gas calculation and will have 0.055272 meters cubed of gas in the system. On a domestic ticket I can only test and purge up-to 0.035 meters cubed. My question is can I split the pipe work by isolation valves and test separately so I can sign off the job with my domestic
ticket!

From what I can remember I'm almost positive that you can.

its a new one to me ill be honest but you would still have to do a TT including the meter so for me im going with a no , but i stand to be corrected

As far as I know, and there is some conflicting info about this, commercial premises = commercial tickets regardless of what is being fitted (or that's what i was told when i did my acs last)

The only difference between Dom and com is size of install.

For eg. 40kw Dom boiler. Domestic
47kw. Commercial

IV <0.0035 domestic
>0.0035 commercial

Meter u16 or smaller. Dom
U25 or bigger. Com

As far as I know, and there is some conflicting info about this, commercial premises = commercial tickets regardless of what is being fitted (or that's what i was told when i did my acs last)
There is no conflicting info in this respect that I am aware off.
As simon states diference between domestic and commercial it is to do with pipe size, meter and appliance size.
I have worked in Doctors surgery's, hairdressers and various shops on various domestic boilers.

have just pulled out gas manual it says [when existing pipework is to be extended. The total volume of the new and existing sections has to be less than 0.035 m3. So therefore, you could not put a manifold in as you suggested. Might be possible to get someone with a commercial ticket to sign off gas pipe work.

Thanks aqua logic7, my friend has his commercial ticket do you think gas safe would let me add him to my registration? When it was corgi I had 2 friends on my registration even though they worked for different company's.

You can have any eng on your ticket. It's just if the eng wants to be

I kno it's a stackable offence in big to have other registrations

Thanks aqua logic7, my friend has his commercial ticket do you think gas safe would let me add him to my registration? When it was corgi I had 2 friends on my registration even though they worked for different company's.

I was told If you have any one else on your ticket, you have to inspect there work

nothing to stop you inspecting there work. it is only who installs has to be listed for work they do

it is perfectly acceptable for you to get a commercial guy to fit seperate iso valves and test points and test the whole installation, then for you to work from each iso, as long as each leg you work on doesnt have an IV of more than 0.035m3, and remember if each leag has IV above 0.02m3 you need a different purge procedure

well I live and learn, I thought it was 60kw and below that was classed as domestic

Thanks for replies spoke to gas safe and my mate today he is going on my registration and will sign job off for me happy days!

well I live and learn, I thought it was 60kw and below that was classed as domestic

45kw per appliance. 70kw max install

45kw max appliance I dont think that is correct and if it is I think there is a few of us that are working out of scope :book:

it's 70kw, no bigger than a u16, 35mm pipe and 0.035 installation volume. I've worked on a Buderus boiler in a hotel with a heat input of exactly 70kw. Spoke to Buderus and Gas Safe before I did and it was fine for me to work on with just my domestic tickets. Same goes for their Andrews water heaters as they were only 12kw even though a commercial design.

The 70kw size limit is a very misleading way of defining the scope of domestic/commercial work because boilers in the UK are manufactured to two seperate standards, BS6798 refers to domestic boilers and BS6644 refers to commercial boilers. This means that an engineer holding CCN1 and CEN1 could not install a 30kw boiler made to BS6644 but could install a 70kw boiler to BS6798, so to install the 30kw boiler he would need to acquire COCN1, ICPN1, TPCP1A and ICAE1/CIGA1, these cover commercial core safety, installation and first fix of commercial pipework, testing and purging of low pressure commercial pipe work not exceeding 1m2 and 21mbar operating pressure and first fix/ install commercial indirect fired appliances respectively.

not doubting you but are you sure you need the commercial pipework and testing quals just because the boiler is commercial but what if the pipework and meter is not?

Exactly why I am doing just my codc1, comcat 1 and 3 in 2 weeks time as where I am working does not have commercial size meter or pipework and I've sought advice from gas safe on that

Regarding the commercial design boiler, sounds about right, I'll look out for that in the future. the 70kw boiler I've worked on, Buderus say they make it that so people can work on it with domestic tickets so I assume it is to bs6798 and not the commercial bs6644.

Has anyone looked at the note in bold on p137 of EGS 5th Ed. Seems to advocate the sectioning principle mentioned.

what's boyles law/ideal gas eqn got to do with anything? I'm guessing you're saying that the process is isothermic - but why're you testing at about 1/5th atmospheric pressure? what's this for? transpose the formulae to make either v1 or v2 the subject and the answer should drop out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas volume in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock