Discuss Gas Safe appliance registration. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert large

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
A friend of mine justphoned me up to let me know about a situation he recently encountered.
He recently attended a breakdown on a one year old boiler which was shoddily installed & the home-owner informed himthat she had no receipt for the installation, could not get theinstaller back & that it had not been registered with Gas Safe.

She was given Gas Safe's phone number & phoned them up to inform them of the details & to see if they could be any retrospective action taken against the installer.
After a month she had heard nothing more so my friend phoned up Gas Safe to ask again & was told that there was nothing they could do as there is no legal requirement to register boilers with Gas Safe as it was CORGI's initiative from years ago & was not taken up by Gas Safe when they took over from CORGI.

If this is correct it is strange that Gas Safe omitted to tell installers of this fact but continued to let the revenue pour in from appliance registrations. It could have been be an omittion on their part not to let installers know the updated situation on appliance registration but my cynical side suspects otherwise.

I'd be very interested to hear others views on this. Maybe everyone is already aware of this anyway.

Last edited:
Just recently I had an issue from a boiler not being registered. (put in wrong house number) like a ****. The house was being sold, the solicitors wouldn't exchange etc. from that I assumed we still have to register. Only us gs engineers though not the cowboys!

Interesting as I've registered almost 100 appliances in the last year. I do it as when selling the house solicitors or building control ask for them and it looks professional when the certificate comes. I thought it was an obligation though.

So did I, is there any way of finding out. Really don't like parting with money unless I have to.

building regs in England and Wales make it a legal requirement for the local authority to be informed about the installation of a heat producing gas appliance and any associated heating and hot water systems installed with the appliance. This includes boilers, water heaters, warm air heaters, gas fires and flued cookers. As a GSR engineer you are responsible for ensuring the local authority is notified. Gas safe bless em will notify the local Authority on your behalf. The customer will then receive a Buildings Regulations Compliance Certificate,
:hurray:

I was under the same impression RPG. I am now told that unless the installer has said in writing i.e. on estimate or quote that they will register the appliance on the customers behalf, then the onus is on the homeowner to inform building control. Apparently the Gas Safe service is exactly that, a service & they cannot enforce notification.

Don't get me wrong, I think it does look more professional but if the above is true then it is all very mis-leading from Gas Safe, although when I think about it I don't recall ever seeing any literature from them about notification, only from their predecessors.

building regs in England and Wales make it a legal requirement for the local authority to be informed about the installation of a heat producing gas appliance and any associated heating and hot water systems installed with the appliance. This includes boilers, water heaters, warm air heaters, gas fires and flued cookers. As a GSR engineer you are responsible for ensuring the local authority is notified. Gas safe bless em will notify the local Authority on your behalf. The customer will then receive a Buildings Regulations Compliance Certificate,
:hurray:
Thats what I thought till this afternoon. Not true. Gas Safe told me today its the responsibility of the householder to notify an appliance, They wernt interested in the cowboy who installed the boiler a year ago. I wont be registering any more .Ring gas safe tomorrow and see.

Great :63: I was quoting directly from the literature Gas safe sent me last month when i registered my new business.

i have one to do now, its for the local authorities and i dont want to loose cred'!.
what you saying...tell them to do it?.

if this is true, then gas safe cannot surely be able to keep track on uk gas installations?.

i have one to do now, its for the local authorities and i dont want to loose cred'!.
what you saying...tell them to do it?.

if this is true, then gas safe cannot surely be able to keep track on uk gas installations?.

Who says they have to keep track?
The choice is yours, register it or dont, ITS NOT COMPULSORY.
Weve been duped into it all these years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Safe appliance registration. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock