Discuss forum rules..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi lee
Don't get yourself banned. We all know sparkys take the casing off to connect electrics. The point here is. A responsible forum, following gas safe rules cannot give out advise to the general public, that would contrivine gas safe regulations.
There had been numerous times, I have gone to a boiler where a sparky has been called to find an electrical fault and the case has been just pushed partially back on. This seal on lots of boilers forms part of the flue/ combustion chamber, so you can understand why you have to understand the process of how a gas appliance works.

No ban hammer yet. What you need to understand is that we take a wide and sweeping view with regards the removal of boiler cases, decorative or otherwise.

If you are not gas safe you do not do it.

THOSE ARE THE RULES OF THIS FORUM.

Your opinion doesn't matter on the subject. There are far too many manufacturers and models to start saying you can remove this one, but not that one or that one.

Now, you may disagree. That's your right. But you will respect the rules and abide by them, as you agreed to when you signed up to the forum.

Otherwise I will exercise the bit that says the mods decision is final.

Capiche?

haha capiche.... I'm an expert on legalese if you need help with the forum rules?

To be fair I know its a touchy subject that would ruffle a few feathers but nothing wrong with a healthy debate. Some just take it to heart more than others.:shades_smile:

The taken to heart bit was more that you're encouraging the public

part 2 definitions bs7671.

Think you need a revisit as if I remember right competent person has been replace with skilled/ qualified person

Side note good look getting a spark to sign any diyers/ not skilled work off,

Be like us signing a landlord who fitted his own boiler off

Last edited:
Think you need a revisit as if I remember right competent person has been replace with skilled/ qualified person

Side note good look getting a spark to sign any diyers/ not skilled work off,

Be like us signing a landlord who fitted his own boiler off
Yes but if you look at the
definition of competent person in part 2 it leads you to the relevant parts such as skilled, instructed and ordinary persons as defined. I would never sign off a diy'ers work in a million years but there are schemes out there such as Napit and Stroma that offer this as an add on to your registration.....I don't agree with it but it exists.

Yes but if you look at the
definition of competent person in part 2 it leads you to the relevant parts such as skilled, instructed and ordinary persons as defined. I would never sign off a diy'ers work in a million years but there are schemes out there such as Napit and Stroma that offer this as an add on to your registration.....I don't agree with it but it exists.

This is what I read/ interpreted

Definitions will be expanded and modified. For example, the definition for ‘skilled and instructed persons’ will be changed. It was also decided that the definition for a ‘competent person’ should be removed, to avoid confusion, as it was considered that some overlap existed between the definition of ‘skilled person’ and ‘competent person’.
It was proposed to modify the definition of ‘skilled person’ to align this definition with that of the IEV (International Electrotechnical Vocabulary). The Committee also proposed to modify the definition of ‘instructed person’ for the same purpose.
These changes will be reflected throughout the wiring regulations. For example, Regulation 134.1.1 has been changed from:
"Good workmanship by competent persons or persons under their supervision and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. Electrical equipment shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the equipment."
to:
"Good workmanship by skilled (electrically) or instructed (electrically) persons and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. The installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufacturers’ instructions."

Direct from iet

Also just looks on napit to be deemed compant you must be part p qualified

Last edited:
This is what I read/ interpreted

Definitions will be expanded and modified. For example, the definition for ‘skilled and instructed persons’ will be changed. It was also decided that the definition for a ‘competent person’ should be removed, to avoid confusion, as it was considered that some overlap existed between the definition of ‘skilled person’ and ‘competent person’.
It was proposed to modify the definition of ‘skilled person’ to align this definition with that of the IEV (International Electrotechnical Vocabulary). The Committee also proposed to modify the definition of ‘instructed person’ for the same purpose.
These changes will be reflected throughout the wiring regulations. For example, Regulation 134.1.1 has been changed from:
"Good workmanship by competent persons or persons under their supervision and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. Electrical equipment shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the equipment."
to:
"Good workmanship by skilled (electrically) or instructed (electrically) persons and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. The installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufacturers’ instructions."

Direct from iet

yes that's it.

so, to be deemed competant to remove a boiler casing, you will need to first identify if it is a positive pressure boiler.
if imediately you cant, then you are breaking the law and putting lives at risk by interfering with a gas appliance.
decorative casing is the flap covering boiler controls such as bbu fire bottom and glow worm/solo control panel.

just to wire a stat, easy innit!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to forum rules..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Just wanted to share my experience with "upgrading" an S plan setup to Opentherm and Vaillant Control Center (VR66). There are a few...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The UK Government has today been told to do better when it comes to Heat Pumps and Hydrogen Boilers. A watchdog for spending has said that the...
Replies
Views
Hi gents and ladies, Making the probable mistake of buying a house at present : bit of a fixer with a shoddy but recent boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, thanks for having me. Tomorrow I am getting an ATAG i28C installed but, unfortunately, the gas engineer...
Replies
Views
J
Hi - I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I'm looking for some advice with regards to a recent (nightmare) new gas boiler install...
Replies
Views
Mark Butler
M
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock