Search the forum,

Discuss ATAG OpenTherm and/or weather comp in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, thanks for having me.

Tomorrow I am getting an ATAG i28C installed but, unfortunately, the gas engineer that will fit it is not an ATAG partner. Therefore, I spent the weekend trying to understand a bit more about what options I would have to control the boiler in an efficient and practical way. Before writing this post, I read the ATAG installation manual and all relevant posts I could find in this forum. I understand that my questions may be too specific, but I'll give it a try.

My current setup includes a Tado V3+ that I purchased in Italy, so should have OpenTherm capability, and I would like to make use of that, if possible. At the same time, the ATAG boiler comes with weather compensation as standard and I would like to make use of that too, again if possible.

The first confusing thing is that from the ATAG manual, it seems like the OpenTherm bus (blue port) cannot be used to modulate the boiler, but only to switch it on/off (page 33). This does not make sense to me because I thought that the advantage of OpenTherm over a simple relay thermostat would be to be able to modulate the boiler flow T. Conversely, the ATAG Zone eBus connection (red port) allows to modulate the boiler and can be used with any "ATAG zone compatible room controller". Does anyone know if the Tado V3+ is "ATAG zone compatible" and can be wired to the eBus connection? If, on the other hand, the Tado must be wired to the OpenTherm bus, does it mean it will not do any load compensation and work just as on/off?

If it was possible to wire the Tado to the red port, then it looks like it would be possible to use simultaneously weather comp and load comp by using setting 4.2.1 (thermoregulation) = 4 (room + outdoor T) and 4.7.1 (room influence) > 0, which is what I would ideally want.

Alternatively, if the Tado has to be wired to the OpenTherm bus and I had the outdoor sensor fitted by the installer, would I be able to switch between weather compensation and load compensation by changing the boiler settings 4.2.1 between 2 (room T) and 3 (outdoor T)? Or would any wiring changes be required as well?

Thank you very much to whoever will be able to help!

Alvise

10.3 OpenTherm BUS & ON / OFF connection (blue)

This PCB will detect if an OpenTherm or an On / Off device is connected to the blue plug on the terminal block. An OpenTherm compatible device as well as a volt free on / off thermostat or programmable room thermostat can be used to switch on or off the heat demand to the boiler.

Last edited:
Hi @gmartine, thanks for your reply. What confuses me is that it says that "an OpenTherm device can be used to switch the heat demand on or off". While in 10.4 (ATAG eBus) it says "this eBus enables the boiler to modulate set point temperatures for optimal efficiency". Probably I am just reading too much into it and the boiler does what it should also on OpenTherm. Thanks!

That's very interesting, so I could ask the engineer to wire the Tado OpenTherm into the eBus port? That would be great as it would allow having weather+load comp. Thanks!

Maybe, I'm not entirely sure WC + Tado LC using open therm can seemlessly work together without conflict even though the two bus inputs suggest they might. Rather you may want Tado (LC) working in relay mode (on/off) at least to begin with.

Thank you very much for the input. Unfortunately, the engineer that came to my property was a subcontractor that told me that he had not seen an ATAG boiler before and left without wiring the outdoor sensor and without even wiring the thermostat because he said he didn't know how to do it. A real disappointment. I am now waiting for the company to fix things. I'll worry about WC once I have heating at all. Thanks again.

Reply to ATAG OpenTherm and/or weather comp in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I have just bought a google nest 3rd gen thermostat to be connected opentherm. I currently have the baxi ifos rather comp fitted. I was told that it was either one or the other, but baxi technical dept have said I can wire an opentherm controller alongside the ifos system. Boiler is...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just wanted to share my experience with "upgrading" an S plan setup to Opentherm and Vaillant Control Center (VR66). There are a few threads on a few different forums but I wanted to share a full write-up with all the steps needed, benefits and costs. Overall, I fully recommend...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a main eco compact 30kw combi boiler installed. This is using weather compensation (baxi ifos) and salus iT500 controller. The salus is starting to play up so I am in a dilemma. Do I replace the salus with a hive or similar and continue to use the weather compensation, or do I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an Atag iC Economiser 27 boiler from 2017, not the more recent "plus" model. It came with an Atag One controller which is hooked in with a 2 wire OpenTherm bus connection. The controller is about to pack in and I'm looking at Tado instead. The controller battery is on its last legs...
Replies
Views
PaoloTherm
P
Hi I'm new here so go canny with me. Hoping that someone can help with the following concerning weather comp, it is a Worcester Bosch comfort+ll control and in the menu it asks to set these values.These are what my thoughts are, are these correct. I am aiming for around 20c for the room...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock