Discuss Flue near an opening roof light in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dgrs

Dear All,

I will be getting a gas safe engineer to fit my boiler (before you all shout at me!) but I was wondering if anyone could offer me some help regarding the regs over flue position near to an opening roof light. Depending on the regs in the matter will affect where we would put our boiler and this has interior design implications.

Ideally I would like our boiler (conventional) to be place in the new loft space with a vertical flue. However, this would mean the flue would come above the roof next to an opening roof light. The opening of the roof light would be the opposite side from the flue but nonetheless, I'm guessing there might be rules about this. For example, would a longer flue be necessary?

The alternative is putting it on a different floor but it would then involve an extended horizontal flue, leading to boxing in in a bathroom (with inspection chambers) and the associated costs of a reasonably long flue run.

Many thanks in advance,

Dave

Do you mean velux window. If so the flue should be a minimum 600mm from it above or next to. 2mtr away if below.

your installer could give you this info if you asked. I have no problem with a customer phoning me asking questions.

Thank you - that's very helpful. It is not manufactured by velux but it's a velux style window.

I'm sure my installer wouldn't have minded but I wanted as much time as possible to explore plan B if it's not possible. i.e. he turns up says "you can't do that" and we then have to make a rushed decision.

Thanks again,

Dave

Was it a VELUX type Roof Window or like Flat Roof Rooflights? I am in a similar position currently!

If rooflight is openable is class the same

To be fair VELUX windows are installed on Pitched Roofs, I didn't know if he had a Flat roof Skylight or like an openable Dome Rooflight!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like it when we are fair and nice I like it when we are all shouty and nasty

Dear All,

I will be getting a gas safe engineer to fit my boiler (before you all shout at me!) but I was wondering if anyone could offer me some help regarding the regs over flue position near to an opening roof light. Depending on the regs in the matter will affect where we would put our boiler and this has interior design implications.

Ideally I would like our boiler (conventional) to be place in the new loft space with a vertical flue. However, this would mean the flue would come above the roof next to an opening roof light. The opening of the roof light would be the opposite side from the flue but nonetheless, I'm guessing there might be rules about this. For example, would a longer flue be necessary?

The alternative is putting it on a different floor but it would then involve an extended horizontal flue, leading to boxing in in a bathroom (with inspection chambers) and the associated costs of a reasonably long flue run.

Many thanks in advance,

Dave

Most room sealed boilers will have the same dimensions required (if you know what's intended to be fitted use exact instructions) but for a reference check out any new room sealed condensing boiler instructions online, they will show you a diagram of a detached house with the minimum clearances for all flue exit points this should then be reasonable to see which is yours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue near an opening roof light in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My installation has been classed as Dangerous 'Do not use' by my boiler manufacturer. I have an Ideal Logic 30kw Combi boiler mounted as high as...
Replies
Views
Hello! Hope you're all well. I've read guidance and searched the forums before posting this..... Had our boiler serviced and had a risk notice...
Replies
Views
A number of issues have been raised from a boiler replacement. Boiler not operating and with no pressure. Tile damage Sprawling pipe layout in...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Hope someone can shed light on this problem. I’ve been and changed bath taps For a client by first isolating the cold mains. I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here, a layperson homeowner, stopping by in desperation to try and get a better understanding of my options regarding a...
Replies
Views
Back