Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting shower pump help needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Connett

Hi guys and girls,

I am wanting to fit a shower pump in the loft, on my gravity fed system, but i require some advice before buying a pump.
I was looking at the salamander how-to and it states that there must be a min of 600mm from the bottom of the tank to the top of the pump casing. By my reconing i can only get 300mm, so i heard that i could fit a negative head pump which would solve that issue? Is that correct,
also is it just as simple as connecting the pump to existing 15mm pipework?

Thanks, Mark

Hi guys and girls,

I am wanting to fit a shower pump in the loft, on my gravity fed system, but i require some advice before buying a pump.
I was looking at the salamander how-to and it states that there must be a min of 600mm from the bottom of the tank to the top of the pump casing. By my reconing i can only get 300mm, so i heard that i could fit a negative head pump which would solve that issue? Is that correct,
also is it just as simple as connecting the pump to existing 15mm pipework?

Thanks, Mark

You kind of need to know what you are doing. Ideally you need a new feed from the cwsc that feeds the hot cylinder, this will be your cold inlet to the pump and this feed from the cwsc should be below the feed to the hw cylinder ensuring that hot water will run out before cold and thus prevent scalding. Also you need to calculate the volume of your cwsc and ensure it is big enough to cope with demand from the pump

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

You kind of need to know what you are doing. Ideally you need a new feed from the cwsc that feeds the hot cylinder, this will be your cold inlet to the pump and this feed from the cwsc should be below the feed to the hw cylinder ensuring that hot water will run out before cold and thus prevent scalding. Also you need to calculate the volume of your cwsc and ensure it is big enough to cope with demand from the pump

You forgot to mentiion the separate feed from the HW cylinder.
Other than that, it's a doddle.

I am a plumber but only been in the trade 3years and never fit a shower pump before mate, so i need to replace the existing cold feed to the cylinder or branch off from the existing cold feed to the cylinder? I know its best to mout the pump near the cylinder so would i be better replacing the current 15mm shower feeds? Basically running all new pipes so a 22mm feed from the cwsc to the pump, a 22mm feed from the cylinder to the pump then 22mm feeds to the shower reducing to 15mm about 600mm from the mixer?

Also would i need to create a new connection to the cylinder or can i connect to the existing connection?

Reread your post jay-kay i undrrstand now i have to create a new connection to the pump from the cwsc that is below the cylinder connection which would ensure the hot emptied before the cold? Sorry mate pain in the bum i know

This link has some good visual guides re the general idea:-

[DLMURL="http://www.bathroomexpress.co.uk/pumps/tp60_inst.htm"]TP60 Shower Pump Installation Instructions - Bathroom Express UK LTD[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
You forgot to mentiion the separate feed from the HW cylinder.
Other than that, it's a doddle.

I tee off the hot distribution pipe. On the horizontal from the top of cylinder. Tee must go downwards though before pipe being bent if you need the pipe overhead in the loft. Been much debate about this in the past but many manufacturers such as aqualisa actually prefer this to a flange.

Hi mate i am going to re pipe it so will now be siting the pump on the flor next to the cylinder would i still feed from the horizontal downwords? Also what flange would you reccomend? Thanks for all your help mate

if you take feed from the horizontal from the cylinder you won't need a flange

As Steve says no flange necessary. However if you use one a warix is easiest.
Go to aqualisa website and check out installation instructions for any of their showers and there is a diagram showing preferred connections when using a pump. Teeing down off the horizontal distribution being the most preferred.

that is how i have mine, teed off of the horizontal angled down towards the pump.

Ahh right even better, well thankyou guys will let you know my progress when i have done it you have all been a massive help thanks a lot.

that is how i have mine, teed off of the horizontal angled down towards the pump.

Was that existing? Or did you do it yourself? I prefer it that way myself

Works well doesn't it. And a lot cheaper than a flange :)

Works well doesn't it. And a lot cheaper than a flange :)

Now i am using the horizontal as the hot feed do i have to fit an air vent or will the vent pipe suffise?

as long as you angle down towards the pump you wont need an air vent, the vent pipe will be sufficient

No problem! That's what we're here for!!:)

So after decades of debate on what flange to use( essex, surrey, warix) it turns out the easiest, most straightforward way is now the preffered way.
Oh well, atleast the flange manufacturers made a tidy packet!:greedy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting shower pump help needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock