Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting rads to 50mm thick insulation boards. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all. Been asked to fit some rads in a very old stone walled house. The plasterer has fitted 50mm insulation boards to the stone walls then dot and dabbed plasterboard on top. There is virtually no gap between the plasterboards and insulation boards.

My question is - how the hell do I fit the rads to these walls now? I am sure there must be a suitable fixing but there is no room between the plasterboard and insulation board to use a spring toggle. Lightweight helix screws will be no good.

Even 100mm drywall plugs are only going to get 38mm or so maximum into the stone wall, that is of course assuming I can actually drill into the stone wall with any degree of accuracy with a 60mm soft material gap in front of it.

What the hell do I do to hang them lol.

200mm torx concrete screws. I would be putting a large bit of 6mm ply behind brackets or some 22mm as a spacer between stone and rads to
hugaryha.jpg

(Yes I had one in my living room)

Cut vertical slots in plaster and insulating board right where the brackets will be fitted

Insert the correct thickness of timber baton

Pick up the mortar lines and drill there for your fixings (3 off brown plug No 10 screw)

Fix rad brackets to batons

Hope this helps

If there are no mortar lines don't know what to suggest!

Russ

I have had this a few times. The best solution is to cut the board and fit some timber to the wall. I have also drilled and fixed 12mm stud into the wall and then drilled out the rad bracket.

cut out where the screw fixings are going approx 3-4 inch sq scrape out some insulation 1inch all round then plaster up i usually use 2 bonding and 1 cement mix goues off in about 20mins use this process on paramount or dry lined works a treat

How big are the rads? If not too heavy I just use rawlplug uno plugs and silicone the brackets down the back. Let it go off and hang the rad. It wont shift

Hi all. They are all single rads. Largest one is 600 high by 2000 wide. Some of them are pretty big single rads.

I was thinking of getting some 2x2 timber, cutting out slots with my Fein cutter where the brackets are going to go. Gripfill the stone wall in the slots, push fit in the timber flush to the board surface ensuring enough gripfill to reach the stone wall. Let it dry then hang the rads with screws.

What do you reckon?

How big are the rads? If not too heavy I just use rawlplug uno plugs and silicone the brackets down the back. Let it go off and hang the rad. It wont shift

10-12mm Fischer plugs with the lips on the front and the ridges on the side should do the job I reckon, especially if the brackets are siliconed on too.

Drill into the stone and use chemical anchors for the wood, gripfill the back of the wood too, then screw mdf sections to give a flush finish the the plasterboard and screw through these for the brackets :)

i wouldn't rely on gripfill alone tbh

Hi all. They are all single rads. Largest one is 600 high by 2000 wide. Some of them are pretty big single rads.

I was thinking of getting some 2x2 timber, cutting out slots with my Fein cutter where the brackets are going to go. Gripfill the stone wall in the slots, push fit in the timber flush to the board surface ensuring enough gripfill to reach the stone wall. Let it dry then hang the rads with screws.

What do you reckon?

Stone sweats and rads fall off. Needs a mechanical fix!

10-12mm Fischer plugs with the lips on the front and the ridges on the side should do the job I reckon, especially if the brackets are siliconed on too.

not sure which fischer plugs you mean, but the uno ones are designed to be a universal plug for all wall types even plasterboard. use these and you will never use a toggle fastener or a pig tail again.
Rawlplug Uno Brown Wall Plug Pk 300 | Plastic Wall Plugs | NoLinkingToThis

not sure which fischer plugs you mean, but the uno ones are designed to be a universal plug for all wall types even plasterboard. use these and you will never use a toggle fastener or a pig tail again.
Rawlplug Uno Brown Wall Plug Pk 300 | Plastic Wall Plugs | NoLinkingToThis

The Fischer ones are basically even more beefed up versions of them. That front lip and the prongs are the most important bit I think. They are so much better than normal rawl plugs in fact they are all I use!
After much thought I am going to fit Fischer 12mm plugs in the plasterboard/insulation and also silicon on the brackets to the plasterboard prior to skimming.

I reckon that will do the job nicely.

Cheers to all for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting rads to 50mm thick insulation boards. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The situation is as follows. I have a shower enclosure which is slightly too small for the new shower tray. In a way this works to my advantage. I think. Why, because I stupidly bought 3mm wet wall panels. I didn't forsee the issues this would cause. (The panels not being thick enough to overlap...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm renovating a house and have replaced most piping. The upstairs rads are fitted, but the downstairs is not as it's yet to be plastered. The pipes are just chased into the walls with Speedfit stop ends attached. Can I go ahead and get the boiler replaced and the system working now and...
Replies
Views
I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to work out the best approach to fitting valves to my new towel rail, but i just don’t have the experience to know the best approach and would appreciate input from you guys. If i get this wrong, it’s going to be a major PITA to correct...
Replies
Views
Hi there! Recently moved in to a new property in Sweden, previously heated with fires and electric rads. Have contracted someone to install a Ground Source Heat Pump, but will undertake the installation of rads myself. The property is around 120sqm over two floors, and I will be setting in 11...
Replies
Views
Hi I've just had a bit of work done in the house where we knocked down the wall between the kitchen and dining room. This wall had radiators either side. Two new radiators have been installed in the new open plan area. When the plumber came to fit the rads and balance the system he was unable to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock