Search the forum,

Discuss Installing rads for GSHP in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there!

Recently moved in to a new property in Sweden, previously heated with fires and electric rads. Have contracted someone to install a Ground Source Heat Pump, but will undertake the installation of rads myself. The property is around 120sqm over two floors, and I will be setting in 11 rads. The pump will be a Nibe F1226. I've purchased a bunch of old cast iron rads, which will fit in well with the style of the house. Advice for a heat pump system is to avoid TRVs in main area of the property. The ground floor is open plan so I will not use any TRVs there, only in separate bedrooms upstairs where one may want to draw down the temperature independantly.

* I will repaint the outside of the old rads. Is there anything more I should do to refurbish them? Flush out the inside of any crud? Rinse through with an inhibitor or something? Pressure test for leaks?

* In the absense of TRVs should I have separate shut off valves for every rad? Or can I get away with isolating a few separate zones? (EG if I have three rads down one wall, can I just stick a pair of shut offs at the beggining of the run?

* What about lockshields for balancing? Do I need one on every rad? Bearing in mind that a GSHP will run all the time at a lower temp, will balancing even be an issue?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

I have only used underfloor heating on ground source heat pumps , I have used radiators on air source these were either triple steel panel oversized to compensate for the low heat temperature delivered, I have also used fan assisted radiators to move air across the internal heating coil this was quite a good method of achieving a even spread of heat to a large room , cast iron wouldn't be my choice but I would advise power washing them out and pressure testing them, if you use them valves would be needed usually connected top and bottom opposite end , follow the manufacturers instructions regarding inhibitors and or heat transfers fluid . Regards Kop

Reply to Installing rads for GSHP in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock