Discuss Installing rads for GSHP in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there!

Recently moved in to a new property in Sweden, previously heated with fires and electric rads. Have contracted someone to install a Ground Source Heat Pump, but will undertake the installation of rads myself. The property is around 120sqm over two floors, and I will be setting in 11 rads. The pump will be a Nibe F1226. I've purchased a bunch of old cast iron rads, which will fit in well with the style of the house. Advice for a heat pump system is to avoid TRVs in main area of the property. The ground floor is open plan so I will not use any TRVs there, only in separate bedrooms upstairs where one may want to draw down the temperature independantly.

* I will repaint the outside of the old rads. Is there anything more I should do to refurbish them? Flush out the inside of any crud? Rinse through with an inhibitor or something? Pressure test for leaks?

* In the absense of TRVs should I have separate shut off valves for every rad? Or can I get away with isolating a few separate zones? (EG if I have three rads down one wall, can I just stick a pair of shut offs at the beggining of the run?

* What about lockshields for balancing? Do I need one on every rad? Bearing in mind that a GSHP will run all the time at a lower temp, will balancing even be an issue?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

I have only used underfloor heating on ground source heat pumps , I have used radiators on air source these were either triple steel panel oversized to compensate for the low heat temperature delivered, I have also used fan assisted radiators to move air across the internal heating coil this was quite a good method of achieving a even spread of heat to a large room , cast iron wouldn't be my choice but I would advise power washing them out and pressure testing them, if you use them valves would be needed usually connected top and bottom opposite end , follow the manufacturers instructions regarding inhibitors and or heat transfers fluid . Regards Kop

Reply to Installing rads for GSHP in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock