Search the forum,

Discuss Faulty valve actuator? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fantata1

In these warm summer months we switch off the heating circuit but leave the hot water circuit on the timer. This summer the radiators are still getting warm when the water is on.

I did the troubleshooting and have found that the two port valve on the heating is not closing fully on the actuator. The actuator is moving the valve, but I have found that when I take the actuator off I can manually close the valve another 1/4 turn and that fixes the problem (the pump also sounds different so know the flow is changing too). The valve is moving freely so isn't sludged up.

The valves are [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]BGMVSP-2 which I assume are rebranded Drayton ones. Would a new actuator head fix this or should I go ahead and change the whole valve? Note I have already bought a Honeywell to replace the valve but thinking about it would prefer a quick fix without draining the system (being lazy!)
[/FONT]
Any help or advice is appreciated.

Change the body and head mate. You'll kick yourself if you don't. Hardly anything in the price difference.

I've never had an issue by just changing the heads. I must of been lucky.

well sometimes you find a body that don't mind taking head,other times just not interested.......

:eek:

Change the body and head mate. You'll kick yourself if you don't. Hardly anything in the price difference.

i agree with adam+1,false economy not too ,i have found sometimes that a sticking spindle causes the motor to burn out in the first place ,plus they can burst through the spindle

Thanks all. I guess I need to stop being lazy and spend a couple of hours changing the complete valve. Job done right and all........

Thanks all. I guess I need to stop being lazy and spend a couple of hours changing the complete valve. Job done right and all........

No short-cut advice given on this forum....

Laziness and half hearted attempts are not acceptable practices condoned by this forum

* unless you have access to the Plumbers Arms - where all short-cut advice is given freely with guarantees.

Last edited:
Cheapest option would be get the paddle/service kit & possibly replace the motor mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Faulty valve actuator? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a 4 zone / 7 loop UFH system. 2 zones (4 loops) always get hot when the system is on when the zone thermostats and actuators are off. The video posted shows when I turn on another zones the flow meters drop. (Kitchen prep and kitchen TV are the issue, two at either end of the...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a fully pumped heating system fitted with a Drayton MA1 diverter, after the summer run the heating stopped coming on, so I replaced the Actuator head, however I have found the actuator is stuck on H (Heating), I have turned down both heating and cylinder stat - still stuck on H. The...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, Hopefully someone can throw some light on if this is a real issue or not. I have had this boiler for about 10 years, I noticed just recently that when the CH has been turned off that a couple of the rads closest to the boiler were slightly warm. When the boiler had demand to heat the DHW I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I've joined the forum today as I've found myself going round in circles with what I think might be a pretty simple problem, hoping someone can help. Our dishwasher is leaking and the manual says this can be fixed by cleaning the water inlet filter. To do this, we need to close the...
Replies
Views
Do people with this type of mixed flow temperature control have any problems with achieving the required manifold flow temperature? The one below I think is similar to the TIO Mixing unit. In the unit below, the hot (boiler) water enters from the bottom left, red arrow, up through the "mixing...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock