Search the forum,

Discuss External Gas Pipe route in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All
The gas supplied have been digging up roads in my area and have now just completed my street. As part of all this they advised that they will need to move my gas supply from inside of the house to outside (for free :) )
The problem is they would only move the supply to the front of the house. My boiler is at the back of the house!!.

So they asked if i wanted the pipe routed around the outside of house or inside. At the time i didnt like the idea of a pipe going around the house as it looked ugly and opted inside so i could box it in. I now regret this decision and am in the process of getting a GSR plumber to move it around the outside.

My problem is that i have a overhead electricity supply and where the mains cable runs along the soffit and down to the meter box so this is an obstruction. I also have a door along the route. Will it be safe for the pipe to cross over the electricity supply cable and across the top of the door. The only other route i can think of is right along the bottom so it goes under the elec meter and under the door - pretty much along the DPC bricks.

Will this be ok or are there any safety or regs concerns?.

thanks

You Gas Safe Registered engineer will come up with the best route for you, that is regulatory compliant. Just be aware, that rerouting from the meter on a long route to the boiler can be an expensive task

The Gas pipe to the new meter position has already been installed through the inside of the house to the back?

Maybe part inside , part outside will be the solution.
It's a lot easier for someone standing in front of the route to see issues and offer solutions.
Just make sure you're happy with the route this time before you agree to the work.

The Gas pipe to the new meter position has already been installed through the inside of the house to the back?

Maybe part inside , part outside will be the solution.
It's a lot easier for someone standing in front of the route to see issues and offer solutions.
Just make sure you're happy with the route this time before you agree to the work.
Hi Snowhead
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, it has already been installed and goes right across the top part of the wall in my living room. big thick ugly pipe. Would rather have it outside my house instead of having to look at it in my living room everyday. I cant even box it in as its awkwardly located along the wall beneath coving
[automerge]1572271850[/automerge]
Hi Snowhead
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, it has already been installed and goes right across the top part of the wall in my living room. big thick ugly pipe. Would rather have it outside my house instead of having to look at it in my living room everyday. I cant even box it in as its awkwardly located along the wall beneath coving
My only issue is if it is allowed to go across the electrical supply cables or if not can i go along the bottom so close to the ground?. Is there any issue with this?.

Of course i will discuss with the Gas Engineer when he comes but just after a heads up thats all.

thanks

Yes it can co past your electrical supply but needs to be a distance off normally around 6” the wire

Yes it can co past your electrical supply but needs to be a distance off normally around 6” the wire
thanks Shaun
Theres no way to go around it because the supply cable is overhead connection so comes straight down my wall vertically and the pipe will have to cross over it horizontally. Was hoping (if allowed) to get him to use larger clips and go over it with the supply wires behind the pipe clipped to the wall.

thanks Shaun
Theres no way to go around it because the supply cable is overhead connection so comes straight down my wall vertically and the pipe will have to cross over it horizontally. Was hoping (if allowed) to get him to use larger clips and go over it with the supply wires behind the pipe clipped to the wall.

Yes sorry I meant go over it but needs 6” of free space between

Reply to External Gas Pipe route in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
N
  • Question
I am undergoing a whole house refurb including new plumbing, boiler, rads etc. I specifically asked for new copper pipes throughout the property which they charged extra for (didn't want push fit piping). I have now been told in the middle of the job that they recommend a replacing the...
Replies
Views
Northgan
N
Hi All After having pooling water on my drive, I dug down around to find: Black pipe poly/plastic dug 450mm deep spraying water at mains pressure from small hole/crack The outside of pipe (measured with veneer caliper) at 23.5mm Pipe Runs under drive, along side of property and looks to go...
Replies
Views
We moved into a house with a gas Aga (I think converted from oil). The extraction pipe is fitted against and runs through an external wall, then up the outside of the external wall. The ducting pipe circumference is about 32cm, so about 10cm diameter. There is no extractor fan in the kitchen. We...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock