Search the forum,

Discuss Should a new gas supply feed be included in a whole house replumb job? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

N

NorthGan

I am undergoing a whole house refurb including new plumbing, boiler, rads etc.

I specifically asked for new copper pipes throughout the property which they charged extra for (didn't want push fit piping).

I have now been told in the middle of the job that they recommend a replacing the existing gas supply pipework from the meter (which is inside the house). They are asking for £500 for this. It's a matter of 3 or 4m from the meter

They'll have to route this to the new boiler position and new kitchen anyway in any case.

My question: Shouldn't this really be included under a complete whole house replumb?

If not, is £500 excessive?

How much did they quote the whole job for and what did the quote say ?

From you original question, Yes

Who's asking? Plumber, Builder or both.

I would state that replacing all pipes in the building was part of your scope of works.

Worst case, offer to meet them 1/2 way.

If the meaning of the contract/quote is ambiguous when it gets to court the judge will normally apply a reasonable interpretation that favours the party who didn't write it. This is usually the customer.

I wouldn't assume it's included in a re-plumb (especially if you just wanted to pipe rads in copper) it's unfair to spring it on you halfway through the job tho. For me (in interest of fairness) it would depend on if it was a reasonable oversight or if pipework was clearly undersized.

Thank you all.

The wording was ambiguous in the contract although in emails I clearly requested new plumbing throughout which they said yes.

Ultimately, I was dealing with the builder (overseeing a full house refurb+extension) using a subcontractor plumber (who apparently wouldn't move from his position). I had to say yes, albeit with a slight discount otherwise I would be holding my project up. I considered my own plumber, who confirmed they were overcharging but I didn't want to give them an excuse if something went wrong.

The builder admitted their guy was expensive but left it at that! Balancing act when you need to get through a project isn't it!

Reply to Should a new gas supply feed be included in a whole house replumb job? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock