Search the forum,

Discuss Exotic Syphon in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wateece

Hi Chaps

I am trying to identify the syphon below and had no joy on the net. There are no obvious signs on the syphon or the cistern. I was hoping to get just a new diaphragm but have no hope unless I can work out what this is. I am aware that you could probably just get a universal to do the job, but would like to try a repair rather than a replace as I am skint.

Cheers

Will

472764_10151356429351529_1069449164_o.jpg

I never try and repair them, I always replace them with a fluid master, best option in the long run

Thanks for that, how is the blue ring fitted to the bottom of the cistern with the above syphon. I have a habit of not knowing my strength and snapping things when made of plastic (sometimes metal), does it just push in or screw in from the top???

big nut under the cysten if its close coupled youll have to unbolt the cisten from the pan

There are two bolts going through the cistern to the pan, remove the nuts disconnect the inlet valve, remove cistern there is a nut underneath undo this pull it out and re assemble

you'llneed a new donut washer as well, this sits between the cistern and the pan

Replace it, they're not that expensive and if you do manage to find a diaphragm, chances are it will be about 1/2 the cost of a complete new unit.

That's what I was hoping you wouldn't say :toilet: hence why I would love to know the make and just get a diaphragm. This is just one of an ever growing list of jobs and I was hoping for a quickie

Cheers guys!!! Just changed the TCO on the shower, the soil pipe on the other toliet, the valves in the kitchen taps, the fence .....................

Been one of those months, thanks for the heads up!!

ÂŁ36......

I can get a fluid master for ÂŁ10!!! what a rip off

I normally buy a twin pack, syphon and inlet valve both fluid master cost about ÂŁ15 can't be beaten (I don't think). No, waiting for suppliers to get a delivery.

Still thats just me, each to there own

ÂŁ36......

I can get a fluid master for ÂŁ10!!! what a rip off
& how much would you charge him to put it in for him ?
ÂŁ6.00 for the washer (a bit of rubber !!) but easy to replace that is why it costs ÂŁ6.00. Fundamental rules of business ! is it worth ÂŁ6.00, yes, why? because people are willing to pay it.

Minimum charge ÂŁ45, simples.

For me, hunting around trying to find the right part waiting for it to be delivered toilet leaking water into the bowl etc.

As I said each to there own, new syphon job done there and then, no waiting, no wasting time trying to find the part, searching the internet to get the part ordering it, sitting there looking at books in suppliers etc,

It is the same reason why I never replace the discs in 1/4 turn taps, never get the right ones always trying to source them or new tap done there and then no messing job done.

I find people want this rather than having to wait,

Having said that if it is a diy job then the diyer can spend his time trolling about shops and internet, it aint costing me time and money

Check the seal for tiny bubbles. These appear on many valves of this kind and simply popping the bubbles with a pin restores the seal.
You may need a magnifying glass.

Interesting thread but as has been pointed out each to their own. To explain my logic as a DIY kinda of chap, the time and cost saving are the issues. Sure maybe you can get better parts and fit within an hour (something normally happens to make it longer) but this is a simple a quick replace.

As I would have to remove the cistern, I would then have to turn off the water etc as there is no lock out, take off the sealant, fiddle for a while with the cistern, replace parts, reseal etc = more time+more cost.

The image below shows what I mean, I am sure for a competent plumber it would be quick and easy, but for myself it would take much longer than changing a diaphragm. I spent 30 mins on line and potentially have saved ÂŁ60-70 - well worth it.

Thanks for all the replies
IMAG1102.jpg

Cheers Paulus

The diaphram is shot, it's split and disintergarting so a new one should sort it!

Interesting thread but as has been pointed out each to their own. To explain my logic as a DIY kinda of chap, the time and cost saving are the issues. Sure maybe you can get better parts and fit within an hour (something normally happens to make it longer) but this is a simple a quick replace.

As I would have to remove the cistern, I would then have to turn off the water etc as there is no lock out, take off the sealant, fiddle for a while with the cistern, replace parts, reseal etc = more time+more cost.

The image below shows what I mean, I am sure for a competent plumber it would be quick and easy, but for myself it would take much longer than changing a diaphragm. I spent 30 mins on line and potentially have saved ÂŁ60-70 - well worth it.

Thanks for all the replies
View attachment 12780
Have you had a look at the post 9 on this thread the web site sells the spare washers as well as the valves ? or is the one shown not yours?

Yeah - cheers!! Perhaps I wasnt very clear - Got the part ordered and much cheaper and easier for me than doing a replace! Was trying to explain the logic behind repair rather than replace.

That toilet doesn't look particularly old!

How old is it?

Is there a guarantee with the new part you've ordered?

May happen again within a short space of time therefore negating the savings made now!

I dont think it is, not sure as it was in the house when we moved in. The last owners had expensive tastes, Bristan taps with ceramic valves, rather than a good old washer for a few pence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Exotic Syphon in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all - Our toilet has got very difficult to flush. A couple of very quick goes on the handle will do it sometimes, but not others! So we are considering replacing the innards ourselves. I suppose the first question is: is that sensible? ;) Assuming it is, we have looked on various online...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
I have a conventional system, Potterton Prima Boiler, into a Pump into a Motorised Valve that feeds the Radiators and/or the pipes in the Hot Water Cylinder. Analogue Controller with slide switches (replaced 2 years ago) and analogue Room Stat and Hot water cylinder Stat. I'm just an amateur...
Replies
Views
Hello hello,, Hoping there are some experts or experienced Bulgarian plumbing chaps in this site ?. Here in the UK I can fit a bathroom just with the experience I have picked up over a lifetime. I can make copper pipe runs isolaters taps sink shower etc but me and the missus have bought a small...
Replies
Views
My toilet flush is very weak & can't really even flush a few sheets of toilet paper away. A syphon flush, not a flapper. Up until a few days ago it worked perfectly, then the flush just started being really weak. Doesn't flush toilet paper at all. Water comes out & the cistern empties, but the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock