Discuss estate cars for work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my point of view, if a tradesman turns up in a car not a van I instantly think DIY wannabe. But if that car was professionally wrapped, not sign written I might think yeah there professional with a fleet of vehicles, but no matter what if you use a car it's going to become dirty and not nice to use as a personal vehicle after a while. Where as a van with extra seats and then a bulkhead behind the extra seats will stay cleaner look more professional and be a lot safer and secure. Also to use the car you would have to take all the tools/materials out every time you used it for personal use and I wouldn't want to leave my Stanley knife in the bag by accident with kids in the back if that's what your thinking

My opinion was based on the chap I see down my local merchant in his estate passat, no sign writing or anything just a old banger & you can look through the glass to see a right old mess in the back!!

My opinion was based on the chap I see down my local merchant in his estate passat, no sign writing or anything just a old banger & you can look through the glass to see a right old mess in the back!!

A car may look ok. But as have been pointed out, it's the contents visibility that will pose a problem. Everytime you go out to do a job, you're not sure if a break in will not take place while you're at customers premises working away? There are times when you have to park some distance from place of work. I'd say having a car is a cheaper option but not a safer option.

you got to start somewhere and for some a van is a bit to expensive initially, you soon learn that you need one, then you realise you need a bigger one, then you want the comfiest biggest one out there with a fully racked interior :)

My thoughts based on what are this. The cars/estates that looks professional tend to be alarm engineers cctv guys stuff like that and they are practically brand new cars. The cars that look diy are those with all their crap in the back which tend to be plasterers and decorators round here and they look a mess but they probably get work because they are cheap. That said a beaten up looking van looks just as bad. And thers plenty of them around here aswell

i did alright using an un signed freelander during past winters, but then again, after you turn up for the job they cqant really say anything can they?

doubt you would pick up any new customers though!!

i also had a large transit.

why not buy a cheap corsa van and a decent large van where you can off set against tax, rather than pile it into an expensive one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Purchasing house in posh area, I was told van would detract from surrounding houses and make them hard to sell.
This was a nonsense, as since I've moved in, both adjacent properties haven been sold and also three properties across the road.

you got to start somewhere and for some a van is a bit to expensive initially, you soon learn that you need one, then you realise you need a bigger one, then you want the comfiest biggest one out there with a fully racked interior :)

I fail to see how this is correct unless your using the car you've already got as my first van cost £1100 was clean straight and tidy no rust, 110,000 on the clock
And my mate bought a similar van for £550 just needed new tyres

i did alright using an un signed freelander during past winters, but then again, after you turn up for the job they cqant really say anything can they?

doubt you would pick up any new customers though!!

i also had a large transit.

why not buy a cheap corsa van and a decent large van where you can off set against tax, rather than pile it into an expensive one?

got a transit connect atm. wasn't looking to get an estate to start out i was considering the viability of changing from my van to an estate for work. Saying that i drove past a plumber with an estate earlier with his gas safe stickers and number stuck on - it looked awful!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to estate cars for work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I...
Replies
Views
any of you do jobs for estate agents? thinking of emailing some of the local ones, and offer our services as a plumbing , heating company , as I...
Replies
Views
kay-jay
K
Hi All Hoping someone can help me. I think its time I start to think about getting my boiler serviced which is a Ariston Combi Boiler A 30 MFFi...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
R
Here's the back up poll for people who were ineligible for the free boiler, but nevertheless put pen to paper in an orgy of rhyming couplets and...
Replies
Views
Masood
M
Sent my apprentice off to flyer some houses in a posh area we were working in today. Got an email back entitled 'the letter I received today'...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock