Discuss Electric v Gas Boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeffrey Silvers

We currently have an oil-fired central heating system. Gas is being laid to our village in jan 2013. Current quote for installation (incl removal of old boiler/tank and £400 boiler scrappage) is around £2000.

I have recently become aware of electric condensing boilers which look substantailly cheaper (for the actual boiler). Is there a great difference in running costs? and how would I calculate what size boiler I need?

thanks

Due to the cost !work one out for your house (Kw) then compair price !!

Electric will be more expensive to run than mains gas. Electric costs more per kw/hr than gas does.
Electric doesn't condense. There is nothing to condense. They are however about 98% or so efficient.

@dancinplumba (posted a link, but not sure the mods will allow it)
but, for example:-
[h=1]EHC SLIMLINE Electric Boiler 12kW Single Phase FUSSL12kW coming in at around £950.[/h]
or
[h=1]Trianco Aztec Classic Electric Central Heating Boiler - 9kW around £525[/h]
Do they cost a lot more to install? (than a Gas system)

@tamz - ok..perhaps they don't condense...but they seem to do a similar job

What size is the property or what size is old oil boiler (kWs) ?? the electrical boilers are normally only rated up to 12kW Max so if above this you would need a supply upgrade as most houses are limited to max 100amp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Electric v Gas Boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi, I have Worcester combi boiler which has developed a 'fault' recently. When I switch the heating on, the fire in boiler starts for a second or...
Replies
Views
Andy Jackson
A
Any advice welcome as plumber stumped Had 36-46 grant vortex utility boiler 7 years no problem recently oil tank move and tigerloop install...
Replies
Views
P
I currently live in a 4 bed end of terrace victorian house, with 11 radiators and two towel rails. Currently have installed a 6kw potterton gold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views
D
we had a grant condensing boiler fitted last year, the lad works for a heating company and said would fit it. when he did he put the pipes all...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock