Discuss Electric v Gas Boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeffrey Silvers

We currently have an oil-fired central heating system. Gas is being laid to our village in jan 2013. Current quote for installation (incl removal of old boiler/tank and £400 boiler scrappage) is around £2000.

I have recently become aware of electric condensing boilers which look substantailly cheaper (for the actual boiler). Is there a great difference in running costs? and how would I calculate what size boiler I need?

thanks

Due to the cost !work one out for your house (Kw) then compair price !!

Electric will be more expensive to run than mains gas. Electric costs more per kw/hr than gas does.
Electric doesn't condense. There is nothing to condense. They are however about 98% or so efficient.

@dancinplumba (posted a link, but not sure the mods will allow it)
but, for example:-
[h=1]EHC SLIMLINE Electric Boiler 12kW Single Phase FUSSL12kW coming in at around £950.[/h]
or
[h=1]Trianco Aztec Classic Electric Central Heating Boiler - 9kW around £525[/h]
Do they cost a lot more to install? (than a Gas system)

@tamz - ok..perhaps they don't condense...but they seem to do a similar job

What size is the property or what size is old oil boiler (kWs) ?? the electrical boilers are normally only rated up to 12kW Max so if above this you would need a supply upgrade as most houses are limited to max 100amp.

Last edited:
Get a quote from someone ! but will also need quote from Electrican to upgrade power supply

As tams sez, nat gas is the cheapest to run unless you generate your own leccy or get it for nowt :)
they are efficient at point of use but power stations I believe are only about 35% eff

They cost about the same to install. Instead of a gas supply and a flue you need a spark to run a 10mm cable.
Those are what is called flow boilers. They are the most expensive electric boilers to run as you cannot take advantage of off peak tarrifs.

The next step up is something like an Electromax. This has an inbuilt hw cylinder but still uses a flow boiler for the heating. These can take some advantage of off peak supplies to heat the hw cylinder.

Then there are the thermal store types like these
All Electric Central Heating Systems
These cost less to run because the water for the heating is heated and stored at off peak times.

If you can get on mains gas that is still the cheapest option.

What size is the property or what size is old oil boiler (kWs)

Unfortunately it's so old that I can't read the plates...it's a Warmflow (Oil fired), but it's costing circa £250 per month in oil

@tamz..& @dancinplumba - thanks for the link and the suggestions...looks like I need to speak to an electrician first

many thanks for your help :smile5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Electric v Gas Boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back