Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Dumb TRV question - sorry in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi all

I've been asked to fit some TRVs in a friends nursing home.

He is unsure if he needs TRV2s or TRV3s. I must be honest and say I don't know the difference, can someone enlighten me?

thanks

Matt

You mean TMV's?

You need to be careful in nursing homes pal, the system will be huge with a secondary return and you prob won't be able to drain down.

You know, that was my first thought and I suppose that might explain why trvs in the home need replacing, probably a BS or a Reg

Thank you roger yes I did question Re tmvs however bloke said they were all set up already with these on all outlets. I wonder if its the customer getting mixed up. I will double check when I go and speak to him on Tuesday. Thanks again

He DEFINITELY said TRVs and even went on about rads but I was not aware of any must have requirement for these in a care home environment. Hoping its just the customer getting mixed up. Cheers all

If it is tmv's at hot water outlets you need 3's as they are the only ones NHS DO8 approved.

If he has read something somewhere and is confusing tmv3's with trv3's just take his cash anyway and swap the lot

Like your style Tamz cheers

if its trvs explain to him the need for low surface temp rads in nursing/care homes now, not cheap but saves roast granny when she falls on the rad unconsious!

Are we talking trv radiator valves or TMV mixer valves to ensure hot water at basin does not exceed 43 C. If the later make sure they are NHS approved and purchase those with a filter before the non return valve. Some, with non return valve first, leave debris blocked by the filter to jam open the non return valve resulting in hot water system becoming pressurised by cold water feed. Clue, hot water coming from header tank overflow. Service valves are necessary as the filters will need attention from time to time. In places like nursing homes, where it is inconvenient to interrupt the water supply, fit service valve live by attaching hose to open service valve, direct hose into basin, cut pipe, fit open service valve on cut pipe, (most of water goes into basin via hose, towel catches remainder). Once fitted turn off service valve and remove hose.

I'm sure that we are talking trvs guys. Thanks for the input though

Cheers TB he said TRVs then started talking rads so I think he's just got his definitions mixed up

Pretty sure low temp rads are requirements on nhs nursing homes and also for insurance purposes?

Yeah they are but it's usually the radiator that's in control of surface temp, not the valve.

Plus if he's asking about 2 or 3, it must be in relation to TMVs. Better get it cleared up Riley cos I think the poor blokes confused!

Yeah they are but it's usually the radiator that's in control of surface temp, not the valve. !

surface temp of a rad is down to boiler output temp! lst rads just ensure that rad surface is separated from exposed surface granny touches

Like a back to front radiator with another panel in front or those other ones like a tube running behind a finned panel.
Surface temp around 40º but they still convect the heat.

Handyman at Nursing Home made mdf screen for non compliant radiators, convection unaffected and passed every inspection for last 12 years. If you go down the road of replacing radiators make sure pipework is also protected.

surface temp of a rad is down to boiler output temp! lst rads just ensure that rad surface is separated from exposed surface granny touches

Not really. Most rads I've seen in nursing homes are, as Tamz says, specially for the job, there's many different types. Either that, or they're standard rads with rad covers. You can't heat a massive home with 40 degrees through rads.

We do big refurbs in nursing homes and we fit stellrad LST plus.......not cheap but come complete ant have a kickplate to conceal pipework and are painted in anti bacterial paint......good luck finding isolation

Abuse in nursing homes is a problem, especially the abuse of heating controls by staff, LST rads can suffer, as can their remote controls, which are easily defeated by the smallest of nurses. The problem made worse by visitors putting hand on radiator and claiming it is not working properly because its no very hot. Couple this with a boiler set at 76 C heating a DHW cylinder with cylinder stat turned up to 80 C and design of system needs to account human factors more variable than the weather. I learn more every day.

Not really. Most rads I've seen in nursing homes are, as Tamz says, specially for the job, there's many different types. Either that, or they're standard rads with rad covers. You can't heat a massive home with 40 degrees through rads.

no one said you are using 40deg to heat the place but thats what lst rad surfaces are and my comment on rad temp is still true its the boiler temp output that affects rad temp unless they are lst when the front panel is cooler

Running the rads at low temperature doesn't comply with the requirements for safe surface temperatures as malfunction could see a rise in temperature. Shielding or LST rads is the only way it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dumb TRV question - sorry in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock