Search the forum,

Discuss Duel zone heating control setup in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bigrinks

Hi all. I'm mid way through updating a 20 year old heating system replacing rads and pipes from micro ore to plastic. Large house so set up two 22mm arterial branches feeding upstairs and downstairs circuit.

The idea is to connect both 22mm circuits via a 3 way moterisied valve and operate the valve via the programmer. Would like two thermostats, one for each zone.

im at the point to making the connection to stick in the zone valve which I can operate in the short term using a basic toggle switch.

can anyone advise of a controller, double thermostat setup that would meet my intended system operation?

Would it not simplify things to use 2, two way motorized valves,one for each zone, paired with appropriate room stats.

Hi Joni. Thanks for the reply. It would but it would mean that in some cases both valves would be open together. What I was trying to achieve is operating each circuit separately. Whilst you can get programmers on the market that have more than one thermostat they only operate a single valve. What I think I need is a programmer that talks to two thermostats and as two zones with two valves and can be configured each zone separately.

As above you only need 2 port valves.

If you want completely independent timed control of each zone use a programmable thermostat and 2 port valve for each zone.
If you want the same times for each zone a standard programmer will do.

Personally I'd always use Programmable thermostats.

Better off with zone valves and programable stats, wireless if you don't want to run cables everywhere. Make sure you fit an auto bypass.

I'd agree with that more versatility with 2x 2 port valves rather than one three port. At least you can run upstairs without downstairs or vice versa !

Update. I've now plumbed in two Honeywell moterised valves(5 wire) with end switch. One for each of my two heating zones. I've bought a eph sauter 3 zone wireless programmer with wireless 2 thermostats. With the plumbing done I can operate each zone by manually opening each valve. Now the tricky bit. I tried a s plan wiring layout on a test circuit and it works fine. Both end switches trigger the boiler to fire once valve is open. Problem is that the boiler has a overrun feature which I can not see how this can work with the end switches as the valve when closed won't allow the overrun to complete. Thoughts on how to deal with this seemingly last issue?

Thanks for the advice. I fitted a non adjustable rad in each circuit in substitution to the auto bypass. This seemed acceptable as per the boiler manual..

I have a manually adjustable (wheeled) valve betwee main flow and return 22mm. I guess for balancing. Could be easily swapped out for the a bypass.

Thanks.

Are your non adjustable radiators on each circuit after the zone valves?

The zone control valves are located about 3m from boiler on main f/r. I have a 15mm branch to two rads just before the valves. So no the non controlled rads act as bypass.

The system is 20 years old and doesn't meet current standards.

What would the wheeled valve be about 2m from boiler(so right place for bypass)? Bridges f/r and looks like a red wheeled valve. Certainly not a bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Duel zone heating control setup in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Afternoon Fellas If anyone has time to help with this snag it'd be much appreciated. We have a wet-floor system controlled by John Guest UH3 and...
Replies
Views
A bit of clarification - I have extended a 3 bedroom semi detached and at the time central heating pipes were going in I told the plumber could I...
Replies
Views
HI folks, this post is a follow up to my post relating to my single pipe heating system. In summary, I have a house built in 1980 (I bought it 2...
Replies
Views
Hi. A new house regulation for a 2 zone heating system because it's bigger that 150sqm. I'm I right in saying zone 1 should be all of the...
Replies
Views
Is there any advice on using Honeywell Evohome with 2 zone heating. Honeywell support are pretty useless and give conflicting advice. They...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock