Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss drainage problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got called to a problem where shower tray wasn,t draining away,cleared the blockage but noticed when draining a full wash hand basin water is coming up the shower tray.The set up is shower tray waste pipe runs along the wall to the outside downpipe and a T-piece collects the water from the WHB about halfway along this pipe,the waste pipe does run downwards from the shower tray via the WHB to the outside downpipe,if just running the taps on the WHB the water gurgles at the shower tray waste and customer says it has been like this snce installed,is there any way to resolve this issue ?

Maybe the original installer buggared the waste run up.
The way to be certain is to expose the pipework and use your own judgement.

Looks like induced syphonage! Do they shower often?? What size is the waste pipe from the shower to the sink waste T-piece to WHB ?

Looks like induced syphonage! Do they shower often?? What size is the waste pipe from the shower to the sink waste T-piece to WHB ?

Pipe from shower 40mm runs to 40mm equal T reduces to 32mm up to WHB,don,t know how often the use the shower.

beat me lol. maybe change the tee to a swept tee or a y junction to guide the whb waste the right way.

Pipe from shower 40mm runs to 40mm equal T reduces to 32mm up to WHB,don,t know how often the use the shower.

The reason I'd asked about how often was because if its a bottle trap, they tend to somtimes hydrate, the trap is lost somtimes causing fumes from the pipe in the atmosphere. Any way the pipe sizes are sufficient and like Steve has stated, does it have swept tee from the WHB downstream to the waste outlet??
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7iFM9odNonyUiID3D9dofSXGfYQfdRaW64ZUrWNbwMqUAhlvc4A

Change tee, upsize to 54mm from whb and shower connection point, take out separately. Check discharge downpipe is not blocked and vent is clear. Durgo stuck?

Well i was wondering about a durgo because i didn,t see one,should there be one and if so in what position,also it is a shallow trap on the shower tray no room for anything else(concrete floor)

Well i was wondering about a durgo because i didn,t see one,should there be one and if so in what position,also it is a shallow trap on the shower tray no room for anything else(concrete floor)

:50:Durgo is an air admittance device. normally sited near WC or inside dwelling that opens to let air in.

[DLMURL]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT12VWsrahePs94dBUXnfgJl8F16Lsx0OTf-LSTWiScRAVjaB3M[/DLMURL]

And if its a shallow trap in the shower I would suggest using the 40mm swept tee also.:clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at HepvO valves. They will act as an air admittance valve and non return valve as well as a trap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Look at HepvO valves. They will act as an air admittance valve and non return valve as well as a trap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I solemny aGREE......:leaving:

yea!:thumbs_down:

Was never meant a thumbs down there.. I actually think your're correct, and was actually looking for the thumbs up emoticon but could'nt fint one....my apologies:clap:

You can get 32 and 42mm nrv valves but they can block up. I think McAlpine make them. The problem is of course, is that the seal on the trap is being blown out. It also seems obvious as you said that you can only get a shallow seal trap on the shower tray. A resealing trap is no help really as the problem is not vacuum its back pressure. The usual cause of which is either high resistance caused by undersized pipework or blockage either in a vent or discharge pipe. It can also be the lack of a swept tee of course. I have been on jobs where a clerk of works has gone ape to see even a whb and bath both with deep seal traps as far as I know running into one 42mm pipe. He asked for 54mm from the whb connection point to the outside.

I also think part of the problem is the height of the whb discharge being so much higher than the shower. It takes a larger size pipe to disperse the force of the whb discharge from surging up the pipe and into the shower. The bigger pipe size lessens the frictional head and so probably decreases the surge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to drainage problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, As per title we have a regular smell from the shower trap. Clean the trap twice a week, had a cleaning rod down the shower waste pipe and no...
Replies
Views
Total refit of of bathroom. I've got a 40mm waste from the shower running beneath the floorboards to an external wall and out. Just above where...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Shower is leaking into downstairs when water is being aimed at wall . All sealant has been redone on outside and between shower tray and...
Replies
Views
Hi could anyone give advice please ? I went to look at a new build for sale they are apartments/ one house on top of another all properties will...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm currently doing the pre-planning for my next DIY project fitting a shower tray and enclosure from scratch. I'm confident of being able to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock