Search the forum,

Discuss Do old lead pipe's ever wiped onto cast iron? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jarnty

I have an old Victorian building with a bath with an old lead pipe connected to the cast iron drain pipe outside , i just need to if is likely to be wiped 'soldered' directly on to the iron or is it most likely that there is a brass fitting that the lead is wiped onto before the cast iron drain pipe?

Hi & welcome to the forum!
Hard to say without photos. The lead waste is unlikely to be soldered to cast iron. Sometimes the cast iron stack was sealed with molten lead at joints, but not usually lead pipes.
Often waste pipes to baths & basins if any great length were done in cast iron & the lead waste pipe just went the short distance & to inside the larger cast pipe a few inches.

Unusual. They normally drop into a cast iron hopper half way up.
Does it look like there was a cast iron hopper there.
Tell tale marks are a number of wooden pegs in the mortar where it would have been attached with perhaps cleaner looking brickwork in that area.

Cant think ive seen a lead pipe straight into a cast iron but I havent had 5 coffees yet and its still early ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do old lead pipe's ever wiped onto cast iron? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I need to this cast iron pipe back as my new back to wall toilet won’t fit otherwise. Cutting it back i am going to lose the collar. So what fitting can I get for it I would like a flex as it will easier for me when installing the new toilet
Replies
Views
We have an old gas pipe in the understairs cupboard. The previous occupants had the gas meter moved, but this old pipe remained. This pipe goes behind the electrical CU which I'm due to have replaced soon. We are looking to cut the old pipe out, but trying to working out what material it's...
Replies
Views
Good evening I've came across 90mm cast iron before and used mcalpine extB (90 to 110 extension) But what I have here kind of bellows out to 108mm internal as you can see in the photos. Is this some sort of conversion to clay which is why their is a bulge? What would be the 'Best' way of...
Replies
Views
Hello hello,, Hoping there are some experts or experienced Bulgarian plumbing chaps in this site ?. Here in the UK I can fit a bathroom just with the experience I have picked up over a lifetime. I can make copper pipe runs isolaters taps sink shower etc but me and the missus have bought a small...
Replies
Views
Hi, Helping a friend, his soil stack is cast iron. The bath and basin wastes (all removed now) went into individual entries on the stack. These are iron pipes, with what looks like a female internal thread into which there is some sort of metal reducer with what is maybe a compression fitting...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock